Getting around activation fee- AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coreytime, Nov 4, 2017.

1. coreytime macrumors newbie

If I bought a phone from AT&T but did not use the sim card in the new one but instead i swapped out my old sim. Will I still get an activation fee?

2. blhoward2 macrumors 6502a

In the past yes, but almost every year I have gotten it waived by chatting with them and asking them to waive it.

3. coreytime thread starter macrumors newbie

what if it's an AT&T phone but purchased from APPLE?

4. pippakay macrumors member

pippakay

thanks for this...i've never thought to ask. will definitely try this year.

5. ZipZap macrumors 603

Moving the SIM from you old phone to a new one should not cause upgrade fees.

6. pippakay macrumors member

pippakay

i thought the same thing, but it did last year. showed up on the bill a month or so after i had the new phone.

7. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Moving an existing active SIM works and there is no Activation Fee and there can't be since you are not "Activating" anything on AT&T. You are reusing an existing SIM and only activating your iPhone X with Apple's activation servers.

It does no matter where you purchase the iPhone. If you don't use the new pre-installed SIM, there can be no activation so no Fee!

Dave

8. Sappharad macrumors member

For what it's worth, last year I bought an unlocked (full price) AT&T iPhone 7 at launch directly from Apple. I activated using the included SIM card, and they did not charge me an upgrade or activation fee. They knew I switched to a new phone though, the 7 shows up on my account.

I'm outside of a contract now though, grandfathered into an old unlimited data plan that is still cheaper than their new one. (Cheaper based on total price, including small voice & text allocations which are separate charges on the old plan)

I don't know if it's because I paid in full, but I was honestly expecting them to charge me a fee based on what I read, and they did not.

9. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I just call in every year, and they have always waived it. If they hesitate, I confront them asking why I am being taxed to stay on their service, and, that if I was going to pay for activation fees, I may as well migrate everything since porting numbers is a non-issue these days.