Getting around Firmware Password?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trey5498, Aug 11, 2008.

1. trey5498 macrumors regular

As I asked in a previous post, I work for a company that needs to get into one our macs, however the guy that was fired refuses to give the passwords and he placed one on the firmware. How do I get around the password? I read something about a button on the motherboard. Is this something?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You may want to check but he could be breaking a law by locking a system that doesn't belong to him. If so you could press charges and have him arrested. That would almost certainly change his tune.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

From what I've read, you can change the physical amount of memory inside the computer by removing or adding memory DIMMs. Then zap the PRAM repeatedly to remove an Open Firmware password.
    Never had occasion to test this information myself, but hopefully this works out for you.

4. trey5498 thread starter macrumors regular

Doesn't accept the command+option+P+R command

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Try going into the open firmware:

At power-on, hold down command-option-o-f

At the prompt type:

reset-nvram (hit return key)
    When prompted for your password, enter it and press the Return key. (Note, just hit a return to leave it blank)
    It responds OK.
    reset-all (hit return key)
    mac-boot (hit return key)

This works on a PPC mac, but I haven't tried it on an intel since the intels use EFI firmware.

6. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

You must alter the amount of memory in the machine before doing this.

If what you need is on the disk, you can just go out and get a cheap external enclosure, pull the hard disk in that Mac, and pop it in the enclosure.

7. kamanashi macrumors newbie

I just removed one stick of ram from my friends mac, then it wqas gone, I was able to access the disk in terminal and remove a file to make a new account. (Note: I did this on a school bought laptop which can get you into a lot of trouble) Though, I'm not sure if it has to be a certain stick or not. I Just removed one because I remembered that its stored on the ram.