Getting around not having a CD drive.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Corus, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Corus macrumors newbie

Aug 25, 2012
    Just purchased a new Mac Book, with retina display. I figured I would be able to live without a CD drive, so I didn't bother asking for one.

Anyways, I'm trying to run windows through virtual box. Of course I need something for the Virtual windows to boot off of. I do have a windows installation disk, and another computer with a CD drive running windows.

How would you guys recommend doing this? Obviously I'll have to make a Virtual drive, or be able to boot from a flash drive, Neither of which I'm familiar with in a Mac.

Thanks In advance
  2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Oct 9, 2007
    Install Remote Disc on your windows PC (I assume they're both networked)

Not sure about Virtual Box, but it probably allows you to install Windows from an .iso file on your Mac hard drive.
  3. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

May 10, 2010
    Are the windows and Mac connected via network ? would might could share the CD from windows system and let virtual box install from that share. Or use a pice of software to make an ISO file from the CD and give this ISO file to VB for installation.
  4. cvaldes, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012

cvaldes macrumors 68040

Dec 14, 2006
    somewhere else
    I'd spend $20-25 on a cheapo external DVD-RW drive (or borrow one).

My Mac mini server (mid-2010 model) didn't have a built-in DVD burner, so I bought the external.

If you can afford a Retina Display MacBook, you can afford a $25 DVD burner. Chances are it'll last five years and you'll use it at least 2-3 times a year, especially if you rip CDs or DVDs.
  5. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

Feb 25, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Just make a Windows USB installer on the Windows machine: