I've spoken with every higher-up person at AT&T I can get in touch with and the story is the same every time - too many contractual stipulations that prevent AT&T (or Apple it sounds like?) from discounting the iPhone in any way (or discounting your account in any way that can be traced back to the iPhone) if you are not eligible for upgrade. Of course AT&T has offered me an "exception upgrade" so I can have any other phone at upgrade pricing - any phone BUT the iPhone. Or I can have the iPhone for the 399/499 pricing. I have an iPhone 3G, DH wants one. My plan until today was to cancel my husband's line and have him re-sign up w/AT&T and get the iPhone as a new customer. A CSR there told me they would waive his termination fee (we've had multiple issues w/our service) but could not advise me on how to help him re-sign up and keep his same number. Turns out, he can't keep his same number if he wants to come back to AT&T, he can only take his number w/him if he ports it out to another carrier. So my other ideas are: -Go ahead with canceling his account, get termination fee waived, have him port his number to some sort of non-contract provider (does this exist?) and then after a few days or something have him go get the iPhone and start as a new customer. Possible problem is obviously getting a new non-contract carrier and also will AT&T have any issues w/him starting new account since it was their account just a few days ago (they said if he doesn't port his number out to different servicer that they would hold it 30-60 days, and if he comes back during that time he is still not eligible b/c he'd be under his old contract - so, wonder if that would still apply if he's already taken his number w/him?). I have a relative who manages a cell phone store, wonder if he may be able to help w/porting the number to another servicer temporarily somehow. -Or, this is a new one I haven't asked AT&T about, I could try to add a new line to our family plan, buy the iPhone for that line.. then cancel that line at some point (this assumes the cust. service supervisor I'm working with would agree to cancel a different line), and have DH "switch" phones w/this other line (do I need a person for this line?). But even if they won't waive the termination fee isn't adding a line only like $10 on your bill? Of course there's the iPhone plan, not sure if they can switch it to the other line or not or how that'd work.. It's late and I'm just really reaching for ideas here... Please let me know your thoughts or any similar experiences.. thanks!