Getting At&T discount by unlocking phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aerospace, Sep 23, 2007.

1. aerospace macrumors 6502a

Has anyone unlocked their phone in order to keep thier discounts on at&t?
    (ie. unlock iphone and switch sim from old at&t account that has a discount)

I get 15% off with my employer which would be nice to keep.

2. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

The iPhone will not work on the AT&T network without the original sim card from Apple (no other sim cards work in the iPhone).

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Actually people hsve unlocked them so other SIM cards do work which is what he is asking about.

4. one1 macrumors 65816

ACTUALLY he said no other sim card would work on THE AT&T NETWORK which is what the OP asked.

5. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I have only seen where they have been unlocked to work on other networks, not on AT&T's network.

6. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. one1 macrumors 65816

^^ Lol, that realization of reading what freestate actually wrote prompted a very quick edit of that smart elic response you had written. :p:p

8. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

;)

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If it is unlocked it should work with any SIM on any GSM network, I don't know if anyone has done this with ATT or not but it should be possible.

10. one1 macrumors 65816

Good reasoning, but wrong. AT&T has a very special place on their network for the iPhone

11. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd imagine it would work until they realise what your doing. Cant believe no one has tried this yet though x_X

12. one1 macrumors 65816

Take it with a grain of salt, but AT&T's exact words to me when I asked them this very question was that any other AT&T sim would fry if used in an iPhone. This was a CSR at AT&T corporate, not at store level.

Regardless of whether or not this is true, the network will not accept it.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They don't want you using any other SIM but once it is unlocked the phone won't do anthing more to an ATT SIM than to a T-Mobile SIM.

14. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

If they told me the iphone would fry the sim I would have laughed at them and asked for thier boss. :cool:

15. NoleRx macrumors newbie

This is actually completely INCORRECT! You can take the sim out of your current ATT put it in the iphone and activate with iNdependence. Just make sure you have a data plan added to your original plan.

16. DSchwartz88 macrumors 6502

Oh come on guys....seriously? Not only have i done this i can attest it work. I had a SIM from an old BB that still had data on it (through work) and put it in the iPhone used iNdependence and it absolutely worked. All it does it create a plist and switch it to the ICCID of the sim you want to do it for. Its very easy. Look it up.

Daniel

17. oxeneers macrumors member

Did any of the people in this thread (besides the smart ones) realize that the iUnlock program unlocks the phone to use with ANY SIM that is GSM-capable (T-Mobile/Cingular/AT&T)?

You can use a ****ing SIM from AT&T Wireless BEFORE the Cingular/AT&T merger, from like 5 years ago.

You.. people.

18. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I met a guy a couple weeks ago, when I gave blood, who put his old Cingular SIM into his iPhone when he bought it. It even says 'cingular' on his phone, not AT&T. ANY AT&T Wireless, Cingular, or at&t sim should work on the iPhone as they all have the same carrier code.

TEG

19. indianboy010 macrumors newbie

i also met a guy who did this. he activated it throgh independence and put an unlimited data plan on his line and it is working for him.

20. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

You can do it.... but ATT will know.

When I was talking with T-Mo support, they told me that they can tell by the EIN (or something like that, a unique phone ID Number) that you are using an iPhone. T-Mo does not care. ATT may in the future make you migrate over to their iPhone plan... or they may not. But they can tell!

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Did he have to unlock it first or did it just work when he put it in?

22. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

He bought a refurb from Apple took it home and connected it to iTunes. The phone then told him that there was no SIM card installed. He took the one out of his old phone, put it in, and activated it. Later he found the at&t card in a little baggie in the box. He didn't seem to understand what I was talking about when I pointed out the difference, so I'd assume that it was still locked.

TEG

23. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

just remember everyone: when replacing your sim, be sure to take advantage of the special "kit" that apple can ship to you which makes opening it a LOT easier, lol.

24. EVILKAMOTE macrumors newbie

I'm planning to get an iphone and get it unlocked.. I will going to use my old cingular sim without any internet plan. ( internet is blocked on my account. )
    I will probably add the unlimited internet later but for now, I will just be using the wi-fi.

Will I'll be able to use the wi-fi on the iphone?

25. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

While it's true your respective carrier can tell what phone you are using, ATT CANNOT make you migrate any of their locked phones to their network. Furthermore, only your respective carrier knows by monitoring EIMI while your phone is active on their network. ATT cannot arbitrarily grab that data

Unlocked phones on different carriers isn't something new that started with the iphone - carriers cannot confiscate your property because you chose to use it on a competitors network