Getting AT&T FAN discount after you have already enrolled

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swiftaw, Jun 25, 2009.

1. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I opened an account and signed a contract with AT&T on the iPhone 3Gs launch day.

I have now found out that I qualify for a FAN discount through work. Can I call AT&T and get this discount applied, or will they not let me since I didn't use it when I first opened my account?

2. swr2000 macrumors member

Most fans are only for service and not for equipment purchases.....but YMMV. Never hurts to call

3. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

Yes, you can get it applied after the fact. I had it done after I have my contract for the 3G.

4. swiftaw thread starter macrumors 603

swiftaw

Great, I just tried it by going to the site and entering my email and it was approved.

Cheaper bills for me, bonus!!

5. arykmax macrumors regular

Yeah, you can either call them or put your work email address in here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter

Look on the right of the screen for something that says "Find out if you qualify for employee discounts" and enter your work email.

6. swiftaw thread starter macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yeah, that's what I did and it said I qualified. It sent me an email, which linked me to a website where I entered my account info and phone number and it said the discounts would be applied to my accounts within 2 billing cycles.

Wonder how big the discounts are.

7. arykmax macrumors regular

Depends on the company and the contract they negotiated with AT&T. I've heard numbers anywhere from 8%-30%.

8. vespoli macrumors member

If you log into your AT&T wireless account and click on "features" under the "manage" ribbon, toward the bottom on the right you will see a box labeled discounts -- this will tell you what sort of savings you will be granted. For example, my school, Virginia Tech, provides a 15 percent discount on voice service.

9. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Just like arykmax said, they vary wildly. People seem to sit around 15% mostly. I was at 18% and then, 3 months after the 3G came out, it jumped to 24%.

10. redking31591 macrumors 6502

wow my school, Tulane only gives me 5% off. wish they gave 15% or 25% off.

11. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Mine just says 17% services. Does that mean voice and data or just voice?

12. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Terms vary between FAN accounts. Some are lucky enough to get hardware discounts. My FAN specifies data discounts for data plans of at least $30 which isn't a problem for an iPhone owner.

13. Gatorac macrumors member

Student Discount

Ok so I typed in my University and I qualify. I clicked on the link and my email, where do I see the discount amount? Is it the number in parenthesis next to the name of my University on the welcome screen? (15)

14. swiftaw thread starter macrumors 603

swiftaw

15%, nice.

15. nws0291 macrumors 6502a

Yeah it's nice. I get 12% from work and 20% from my alma mater. This is both voice and data so I applied my University discount.

16. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

you have any idea if South West VA will get 3G for AT&T?

17. JeffR macrumors member

JeffR

WOW, you guys rock - just saved me 15% on my voice & data plans!

18. vespoli macrumors member

When I preordered my 3GS, the folks at the Christiansburg AT&T store said that the VP for Southwest and West Virginia told them 3G by the end of the summer -- likely August. The signal is supposed to start at Virginia Tech and radiate outward. The employees said that they would believe 3G when they see it, but that they are getting really frustrated just being on EDGE, too.

19. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Can anyone post a screen shot of where it shows the discount section? I just applied a few mins ago and got the confirmation, but I don't see the discount section anywhere. I feel like such a n00b!

20. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I get 15% off through my school. Although with taxes, it still works out to be around $70 for the cheapest iPhone plan.

At the AT&T premier site, enter your eligible email (work, school, etc.) and they'll send you an email with a link. When you click on the link it goes to the discount site.

21. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

that would be awesome. thanks for the update!

22. Dezlboy macrumors regular

Are you signed into your AT&T account page? If so, click on FEATURES in the ribbon at top of page. A Discount "square" will appear on right side of next page.