Getting automator to start without actually opening it

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AustinD, Feb 19, 2008.

1. AustinD macrumors regular

I am brand new to automator this afternoon, when i thought i would give it a ring to see what its all about. To be honest, I wish I did more menial tasks so it would get a workout.

However, I found one use for it: turning commonly read research articles into audio (itunes) files to save my lazy eyes. Exactly as this person has done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvc4RtRYyH8

I got the script to work, and have tested it. Whatever jumble of words i highlight, it will turn into an audio file in the blink of an eye. Buttt, i cannot figure out how to get the workflow to run without actually opening up the automator window. I clicked on the workflow icon, ive set it in a stack and tried that, but whatever I do it continues to open up the automator window.

I am sure there is just some step ive left out, but if anyone understands my problem i would be more than happy to accept your advice.

Thanks in advance.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You need to save it as a Plugin, rather than a workflow.

3. AustinD thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I saved it as a plugin to finder but cannot find the file anywhere.

How do I access said plugin?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Well, if you save it as a Finder plugin it'll only be available in Finder. (If you right click in Finder you'll see it).

What you probably want to do is save it as a Script. This will add the scripts menu to the menubar in all apps so you can run it from there. You may have to reboot to get the scripts menu to appear.

5. AustinD thread starter macrumors regular

That worked!

Thank you for your help.
    This automator thing is really neat and useful, I think I see this being a feature on windows 7. :D

6. AustinD thread starter macrumors regular

Just curious for those of you who better know automator, is there an action that uses highlighted text rather than copied text?

7. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

holly free holy
    i always wondered what automator does.
    anyone have a sit that has directions for that or to learn the program.

that was truly amazing

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321