Getting away with a 16GB iPhone with iCloud Drive?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dj95, Sep 14, 2014.

1. dj95 macrumors member

Hi everyone, my contract is up soon and I would like to get an iPhone 6. Thing is, I currently have a 16GB iPhone 5 and always end up with close to no space left due to (mainly) my camera roll, which takes up 7.5GB. With iCloud drive, could every photo and video in my camera roll be uploaded to the drive for access any time (viewing in the cloud without having to re-download them) and then deleted from my actual device? This would save so much space and would save me £80, as apart from photos, all my apps/music would fit comfortably on a 16GB, plus I would then have access to them on any device too. Thanks!

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Yes i believe you can. If not then you can store smaller files on your phone. I got the 16 gb 6+ for this exact reason.

Be sure to back up/restore from backup every once in a while in order to save plenty of space under "other" data.

3. Makala macrumors regular

I think the extra £80 is nothing in the long run... That's why I bought a 64GB, plus it's 4x as much space.

4. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

Yes I think this is what iCloud Drive is designed to do?

But why not try these alternatives:
    OneDrive automatic Camera Roll backup
    Just archive photos and videos onto your Mac / PC after they've amassed, say, 2GB of space on your phone

This is what I currently do with my iPhone. I am glad I will have the breathing room of 64GB though, it's better value than last year's 64GB model, and will mean I don't have to invest time to manage these things, or delete apps all the time to make space.

5. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

If I'm at a family event, whether a vacation, or a sports event or a dance recital, the last thing I'd want to realize is that I haven't backed up and don't have time and connectivity for uploading. An extra 48GB for me, please.

6. jojo345 macrumors newbie

jojo345

This is my plan. I had wanted to get the 64gb 6+, but thought the price difference would be better spent towards the 20gb icloud drive space for a year and iTunes Match. Sure it would be nice to have the extra space locally, but not the end of the world to me.

I have always gotten the 16gb model for every iPhone I have had and have been ok with it. :D

7. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I went with 64GB. Cloud storage is nice but it requires data.

With hd video, apps and such. 16GB is cutting it too close.

8. Ortiz7983 macrumors 6502

My wife wanted the 16gb iphone 6 plus. I got it for her. Now I'm thinking it might not be enough for her since she likes taking pictures and videos. Does anybody know if I could trade it in for the 64gn after receiving it and if so, how long do I have?

9. Jazper macrumors 6502a

2 weeks, you can return it any time during then for a refund.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You might save money on the front end buying a 16GB but iCloud isn't free to be useful (the free 5GB is worthless). You'll end up paying more on the backend with month fees. Plus the storage in your phone always works, iCloud, who knows.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I have icloud (currently 20GB for $11 a year and thinking about going to the 200GB plan), but I couldn't do it. I mean I could if I micromanaged, but it's not worth it IMO.

I have more than 16GB when it comes to apps, mail, texts, etc. stored up. Texts will clean up with iOS8 and "self destruct", but I would still be tight.

I am currently teetering on 64 or 128, probably 128 and then I can store more than I have ever wanted.

----------

My guess is that they won't have them in stock two weeks out (but at least you wouldn't be stuck with the phone!).

12. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Im paying $9 a year for 20 GB. No way in hell I'm going to pay more than $100 for this cloud storage.

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you are only keeping your phone for one year and 20GB is enough for you that's fine.

But if you need more than 20GB (as someone thinking about a 64GB iPhone might) then 200GB would be the right tier to compare. That that point, based on a two year contract it's almost the same price - $50 per year.

And as I pointed out in my previous post, the storage in your phone always works. iClouds history is a bit more spotty. Apple even just put Photos back into beta and removed the app from iOS 8 GM because of sync issues.

14. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Understandable on all points. And yes i do plan on getting the upgrade next year. Though iCloud photo wasn't working for most, I'm one of the lucky ones that its working fine and i have downsized my photo library on my phone considerably by putting them in the cloud.

But to each their own, and whatever makes everyone happy :)

15. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Think about the battery life, its not worth the restrictions!

Plus if you do keep your phone a year, the resale value will be less, no one will buy a 16 GB model off you when there are so many 64 gb available.

It will cost you more in the long run and reduce your experience.

16. Lorenzo F macrumors member

hi dj95. I also have the same question, and I know many others who do as well.

I'm not completely clear on how iCloud works so I took a look at the Apple FAQ to make sense of backing up photos via iCloud. It makes sense that if you run out of space, you simply upload them to iCloud. But with iOS, my understanding is that you have to use Photostream--and Photostream doesn't count against your iCloud storage. After the photos are uploaded to Photostream, you would then turn off "My Photo Stream" in the settings, delete the photos from your phone, and you would have free space on your phone. Then on your Mac, PC, or iPad you would have "My Photo Stream" turned on and would download the photos to that device.

There are several catches. Videos aren't uploaded to Photostream/iCloud, and you can't just view your photos on iCloud selectively without downloading some sort of preview to your iPhone. Further, photos are only stored on iCloud for 30 days, which is why you would want to eventually download the photos. And depending on what device you download the photos to, the resolution will be different.

Take a look at the iCloud Photostream FAQ here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4486

I'm really intrigued by what Sheza wrote earlier about OneDrive automatic Camera Roll backup. Sheza, can you tell us more about that? Is that an app?

17. Camoxide macrumors regular

It's definitely worth spending the extra £80 for 4x the storage.

18. bmms8 macrumors 68020

It will not cost me more in the long run. Thats quite an oxymoron.

19. Ortiz7983 macrumors 6502

Oh well. My wife will have to do with 16 gb for one more year. She will come close but not full.

20. cfedu, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

For you personal time might not be worth money but for others it is. THE 16 Gb model will be hit hard on resale value, I would not be surprised to see people get 80% of that extra 100$ back.

How much will it cost for someone who does not realize apps do not work well from the cloud. They will have to restrict their apps of buy another phone. Another option would be itunes match, so now you are at 37$ a year for storage to work around a handicapped phone. So after one year with having to pay to work around and reduced resale value, it can cost more. After 2 years it will definitely cost more.

Another thing to consider is that for people with more local storage, they might be able to get a lower cost monthly plane since they do not have to use as much bandwidth. It might not apply to everyone, but paying an extra 10$ a month for service would be moronic.

A friend of mine uses around 700 MB a month and pay 40$ on a 1 GB plan and a 2 Gb plan is 60$. I'm sure they will go over 1 GB using the cloud. iCloud 12$, itunes match 25$, Increased monthly cost 240$, decreased resale value 50$, that abouT $330. I have an idea lets pay $330 to save $100. Or you can save money, save battery,increase connivence, and increase over all experience.