Getting back into the Mac game, need help choosing between mini and iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 103734, Jan 22, 2011.

1. 103734 Guest

Ok, I've been without a mac for almost a year and I've been getting along ok with my PC for the most part but I would like to mess around with iOS programing so I want to buy another mac.

I'm trying to decide between a iMac and mac mini, if I get the mini I'll be using it with my PC's 24in screen.

I also plan on doing all my photograph editing on whatever mac I end up getting.

So here are the questions:

How are the screens on the iMac, do they correctly replicate colors? This is a big issue for me since I will be editing all my DSLR pictures on it. This is a non-issue with the mac mini since I already have a screen I am happy with.

Would the mac mini (and iMac?) be fast enough to handle programing for the current generation of iOS machines, and possibly next generation?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can always use the 24" Dell as an external display with the iMac. IMO you get much more bang for the buck with the iMac

3. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Both of those machines will easily handle the programming and running the simulator (technically you can code on anything with a Text editor - my PowerBook 1400c is a case in point), and should manage this for... well, 3-4 generations at least, probably more. Id recommend the iMac however just for the added speed and Graphics horsepower it gives you (It also gives you an extra screen if you hook your 24"er up to it - giving you a massive amount of real estate - useful for photo editing).

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Both would work but you'll be happier with the iMac. Plug in that extra monitor and you'll be extra happy with two displays.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...one thing I found when running two monitor's I preferred monitors of the same size and resolution for my "best" experience... its up to you how the 24" and 27" iMac screens will look together... there's also the glossy issue of the iMac next to your non-glossy 24" screen...

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

What kind of monitor you have?

Unless it's a NEC or Eizo (or another higher end VA/IPS) I doubt you'll loose any color accuracy compared to an iMac.

7. mcalevy macrumors newbie

8. 103734 thread starter Guest

Ok, I guess I will go with the iMac.

My school also has a core 2 duo 20" imac model MC015LL/B for $899, is the 21.5 core i3 worth the extra $250?

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Yes! The 20" model hasn't been in production for over a year and has an inferior display. Even if the performance were the same (and it isn't) the display is worth the extra $250.

10. mjillard macrumors newbie

The 21.5 is definitely worth the extra 250, but do not forget about the refurbs maclevy mentioned. The discount is way better than any paltry educational discount apple has to offer. The selection of iMacs is usually impressive, so much so that you may end up with the 27-incher. If I had it to do over that's what I would have done.

11. 103734 thread starter Guest

ended up buying a 21.5, very happy with it, thanks guys!