Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poolin1243

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
Kansas City,MO/Milwaukee, WI
hey all-

i created a website on iWeb and then my computer crashed..my hard drive went nuts, and i had to reinstal osx-

so..
is there a way to import my website back into iWeb?? apple doesnt know..they have no clue actually... my site is still up and running...but the files..where are they?? haha...

any help is appreciated :)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
do you have .mac or do you have your own website? if you have your own, you should be able to go to the site via ftp like you would to put them there in the first place, grab them, and have them all back.

likewise, if you have .mac, you should be able to access your idisk, find the sites folder and retrieve the files from there. hope that helps.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I'm having the same problem actually. I did a site for a friend on their Mac using iWeb. I burned a CD of all of the files, then copied it over to mine. But iWeb just wants to start from scratch again. Other than rebuilding the pages, mostly manually because Choose doesn't seem to format it right and you still have to create a new page instead of importing one already created, I don't see any other way to do it. If this is the case, I think Apple really screwed up on this one. iWeb is nice and simple and all, but it definitely needs an update to fix this. I can't believe they wouldn't think of an import option, and drag and drop doesn't work very well, if at all. They even say in their help files, you can't import pages built in HomePage.

Back to DW I guess.

xyian

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
PDX
Kyleherder helped me with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyian
Quick question: I had to wipe my disk and reinstall osx. Well, iWeb starts out anew. Anyone know how to get it to revert to the old website I created using iWeb or do I have to start from scratch?

do a spotlight search for "domain"

it should be in this folder

HD>Users>your name>Library>Application Support>iWeb

Mine is 50 something megabytes

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
xyian said:

Mine is only 8kb. I have the files, and I'm assuming poolin1243 could retrieve them from iDisk or .Mac itself somehow. But how do you import it back into iWeb once you have them? That file it just the default iWeb opens.

You can publish iWeb files to a folder easily, but it's a lot tougher (if impossible) to get them back into iWeb from there.

xyian

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
PDX
I replaced that file and moved my old site back into the sites folder under my account. It replaced it all and my site came back up when I opened iWeb.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
xyian said:
I replaced that file and moved my old site back into the sites folder under my account. It replaced it all and my site came back up when I opened iWeb.
I'm going to have to have them e-mail me that file or something then. Or put it on the iDisk. I didn't realize you'd need it before I burned a CD of all of their files and left they're house. I figured you could just import them back in somehow. If poolin1243 lost this file when his drive crashed and didn't have it backed up, he's going to have to rebuild I guess.

Still seems dumb to me, and kinda something Apple doesn't normally do.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I have officially decided that iWeb and .Mac suck. I got the file, I can see it in iWeb and edit it (though that was dumber than I thought, still can't import it's own pages), but now I can't access .Mac to publish it. Something about the login failing, and it can't access it, even though I am able to login via the web portal with the same password just fine, and it says it's validated when I login through the preference pane. And I can't use iSync or the iDisk tabs without it giving me the error messages, but I can sync and access the iDisk just fine. The iDisk utility crashes no matter what I try to do.

Now, when I go to publish via iWeb, it asks me to login, but stops publishing when I open the preference pane, which says I'm already logged in. Something is screwy here, and I've tried a bunch of different stuff already, including clearing the keychains and prefs. Apple support was of course no help. I love Apple stuff, but this is frustrating.

printcop

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2008
importing other iweb files into iweb

SOLVS is correct: HD>Users>your name>Library>Application Support>iWeb
copy this information over to your iWeb application. If you haven't made a backup and don't have this information, then you'll be doing some cutting and pasting....

you can also past multiple domains in the folder, i.e., the original may be named domain... you can put additional webpages in as: domainJohnsweb or something like that... you will need to open them from within the folder though, but at least you don't lose them or have to recreate them...

gauke

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
copy this information over to your iWeb application. If you haven't made a backup and don't have this information, then you'll be doing some cutting and pasting....

you can also past multiple domains in the folder, i.e., the original may be named domain... you can put additional webpages in as: domainJohnsweb or something like that... you will need to open them from within the folder though, but at least you don't lose them or have to recreate them...

Perfect! thanx,

Gauke

FindingPrincess

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
cutting and pasting

I'm having the same problem, it seems. When you say "cutting and pasting", what exactly would I be cutting and where would I be pasting it? I do have all my site files, but not the domain file, I guess...any help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

Celticfaere

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2004
Florida
Still having trouble retrieving iWeb site

Ok sorry for being such a mac newb but I went to HD>Users>your name>Library>Application Support> {and there is no iweb folder} do I create one, and how do I get all the files that are on my idisk under sites on to my computer.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
:( Though I really don't want to be the bearer of bad news, in this case I think I have to be! This has been brought up many times at least on the Apple iWeb discussions board and I suspect here too (I know of at least one other time it has been addressed here). :(

If your domain.sites file is wiped out and you do not have a backup of your hard drive available, your ONLY option is to rebuild your site from scratch. There is no way to "cut and paste" information to recreate a wiped domain.sites file. Retrieving your "published" files from the host site will be of some assistance as you can retrieve any graphics used, etc. which will make the rebuilding faster, but there is no way to recreate the domain.sites file directly using that information.

If you do have a backup, then it is as simple as dragging and dropping your backup copy of the domain.sites file into place as has been described above.

To illustrate that for those who doubt this, create a simple (even one page) site (or just use an existing domain.sites) and examine the domain.sites file that is created for it with a program like the free version of Text Wrangler ( http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/ ) and you will get a better feeling for what is contained within the file- which bears no resemblance to anything you could recreate from scratch.

Sorry for the news- and though the news comes too late, get a good backup system in place and keep it updated to avoid this in the future. it could avoid other similar problems in the future too (loss of iDVD projects, iMovie projects, etc.).

offwidafairies

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Ah, thank you once again Mac Rumors

Kyleherder helped me with this:

do a spotlight search for "domain"

Mine is 50 something megabytes

Mine was 1.3Gb in the old Time Machine. Thanks for this info - saved me a lot of work! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.