Getting back old Notes app

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Kobayagi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Kobayagi macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

Is it possible? :confused:
    I just HATE how this new one looks with the yellow color. It used to look just how it looks on the dock icon.

I use Notes a lot in combination with my iPad.

Is it possible to install the older version or change the looks of this new one to mach the previous version.

2. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

These notes are awful just like the change in iOS7. Hoping for some improvements.

3. Kobayagi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

I had no idea they changed them in iOS7 as well since I'm still on 5.1.1 but I'm really not happy with these changes. At least let people choose which look they like.

4. iOrbit macrumors 6502a

i just tried to copy the notes app from ML to Mavericks.

doesn't work.

mavericks won't work with notes app version 1.5 is the error message.

that means the only way i can imagine to do it is to re write the code in the app and reference old file parts from the 1.5 version.

way beyond my abilities.

5. Kobayagi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

Thanks for the trouble. I was thinking about something like that, but I don't have a copy of the ML Notes. Tried finding it on google, but no luck. But just like you, even if I got the copy, I wouldn't have been able to rewrite it, no idea how.

To bad they force these exterior changes on users whether we like it or not. I'm fine with the new OS, making most out the hardware while having a better battery life, but don't make stupid appearance changes just for the sake of change. Or at least let us change it back if we want.

6. iOrbit macrumors 6502a

i'm able to do this quite easily because I'm running mavericks on an external usb drive. thanks to the tabbed finder as well i can drag and drop from one HDD to another. i didn't install over my main SSD drive so i could fiddle with mavericks first and see if it want to upgrade.

so far i love the performance enhancements, but disappointed i can not revert any changes so far.

no linen can be added back to NotifiCentr/MissnContrl/LauPad, not even customise it.

can't replace apps with ml versions.

7. Kobayagi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

That's a smart move, I installed it right away. I watched a few youtube videos to see how it looked and it seemed not much has changed, so I just installed it.

I'm happy with the performance, my 2011 MacBook Air feels faster, especially while using Safari. But I'm not liking the changes in apps. Top Sites on Safari shouldn't have been changed and Notes off course :eek: But what are you gonna do...

8. Sonka macrumors newbie

Same here

Hey guys, add me to the list! I absolutely hate the look of iOS 7! I would never update to such atrocity! Surely Steve Jobs wouldn't approve something as horrible looking as iOS 7! I love Mavericks but hate that they replaced these apps (Notes, Calendar, Contacts), and they even kept their icons unchanged. And they didn't update Reminders at all! It's like a half-finished job they did. I don't like it! Either keep them all unchanged or update all of them to the new ugly iOS 7 look (not that I would prefer that - at least we have Reminders untouched) and give us the chance to use the previous versions.

I have Notes, Calendar, Contacts and Reminders from Mountain Lion (Reminders looks like it's the same but it doesn't work. If I open Reminders, it seems to get stuck on the Dock and it does not open. I wonder why?). Apart from Reminders, their icons are faded and they are crossed out. If I open the Notes, I get this error message:
    "You can’t use this version of the application “Notes” with this version of OS X.
    You have “Notes” 1.5."
    (Please see the attached screenshot)
    I get the same error if I open the others (apart from Reminders).

If someone needs them to somehow change them to run on Mavericks, I can send them. We would appreciate it if we could get back our beloved apps. I'm running iOS 6 on both my iPhone and iPad and I would love them to look the same. I even use iCloud.com less since they updated the look of it when iOS 7 came out, and the apps from Mountain Lion would be the best thing to use.

Attached Files:

9. jayes macrumors regular

Count me in, too, as someone who prefers the old look of ML for calendar and notes. The skeuomorphism never bothered me. I don't like scrolling in calendar. I want to see one month at a time and be able to flick to the next month. And yellow notes.. much nicer to look at. All this white hurts my aging eyes!

10. Kobayagi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

I hope someone knows how to change that, so it works. I'm still not used to the ugly Notes.

11. Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Your spot on there mate. I have to adjust my eyes when looking at Calendar and it takes me a while to understand what Im looking at. One month just merges into the next. Its a truly awful way of viewing a calendar. Far too confusing. I just want to see one month at a time, I have no desire to see some of the previous/next month at the same time.

12. Sonka macrumors newbie

Yes, it's very confusing and hard to see everything at a glance! I hate that they removed the separators around the days in month view, which makes it a big mess to look at. Removing "clutter" which served as visual clues just hampers usability. This is NOT good and we really need to find a way to get back our old apps. I tried removing the built-in apps, but that didn't work. Then I tried overwriting the contents of the built-in apps, but that didn't work either - I got the same error every time. We need someone who knows about this kind of stuff. Like an app developer for Mac... anyone?

13. Kobayagi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

Nee to give it time. Maybe more people agree with us and someone might rework the ''old'' apps. If not, we gotta get used to it... OR Apple might fix it, but I highly doubt that.

14. Sonka macrumors newbie

Well, I hope someone can help us. Otherwise, we will have no choice but to run Mountain Lion or get used to the new look...

15. Sonka macrumors newbie

Some progress

Hey guys, just wanted to bring some hope. I can successfully run the old Mountain Lion Notes App on Mavericks! It involves replacing some system files and iCloud is not working with it (yet) so it's far from a complete solution, but don't give up hope. See screenshot attached.

Attached Files:

16. Kobayagi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

Haha very nice! But I thought 1.5 didn't work? If you manage to get it working with iCloud, please share. As I often use it in combination wiht my iPad. I'm on 5.1.1 and Notes on there is still the yellow one we all like :p I tried Notes on the iPad Air today and it's even uglier than on Mavericks.

17. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

Switched to Notes Tab Pro on the mac. Syncs well with iCloud on iPhone as well.

18. Bear macrumors G3

Just remember that replacing those system files could break other applications.

19. SusanK macrumors 68000

If you think Notes on Mavericks is ugly check out Notes on iOS 7. Just that one app saved me $538.92 yesterday at Apple. Left empty handed.

20. Sonka macrumors newbie

Yes, that's why I said that it's not an ideal solution. There must be another way...

21. meme1255 macrumors 6502

22. Sonka macrumors newbie

I thought about that, but I'm not sure how I could apply that to only one executable file. I'm not sure, but it might be possible in Terminal.

23. Sonka macrumors newbie

24. Kobayagi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

Do you still have Mountain Lion? If so, could you send me a file from the Notes directory, I might have found a way to get the old background back. So it'll still be the new Notes, but it'll look like the old one.

25. Sonka macrumors newbie

Yes, I still have. I didn't experiment with it lately but I'll continue someday.