Getting Battery Replaced

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Capex, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Capex macrumors regular

So I have opted to get my battery replaced. I had a service battery warning, and an Apple rep told me over the phone they would honour my AppleCare and replace my battery free of charge.
    I live no where near an Apple store so I don't know how soon I can do it, all I know is that I have to get it done before the end of July.
    The battery barely holds a charge. I mean, it's fairly okay, ~2 hrs but if I can get it done and get another 3 years out of it, I will.
    Anyway back to my point.
    Apple's website says data will be preserved. Not that I don't trust them or anything, but I wanted user stories.
    Please, if you have gotten your battery replaced by Apple, tell me how it went? I have 3rd party RAM and hard drive installed.
    Thank you!

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Put your original HDD and RAM back in just to make sure.
    Battery replacement should go fine.
    All they are going to do is take the back plate off and replace the battery.
    They would probably turn it on just to see but thats about it.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I once had a logic board replaced. They didn't touch the HD or anything else, the laptop just booted up as usual and I could continue working exactly where it crashed a week before.

That being said, you should have a current backup before sending it in. Apple does not guarantee for data and third party components in the laptop.

Most likely they won't touch anything besides the bottom cover and the battery. However they might be nice and run a hardware check and find a defect on the logic board, decide to replace it, and return the laptop with some stock RAM.