Getting beyond "waiting for disk to appear" on Migration Assistant

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by atest457, Dec 24, 2007.

1. atest457 macrumors newbie

I'm trying to use the Migration Assistant that came with the new iMac to transfer files. Everything seems to work up until the point where it is waiting for the "disk to appear." The "disks" (one disk with three partitions) DO appear on the new iMac desktop, but the "continue" button on the migration assistant remains shaded, unavailable, so it seems it doesn't seem to recognize the fact that they are loaded...even though I can access all the files. Any suggestions how to move beyond that point, to make migration assistant recognize the drives, would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck

2. techsyspete macrumors newbie

Same problem, simple fix

Just plugged the firewire into another port, clicked, "go back," "continue," and hard-restarted the old mac into firewire mode again. Migration Assistant picked up the old mac and found the disk within 30 seconds the second time.

3. atest457 thread starter macrumors newbie

Help, still "waiting for disks to appear" message to go away.

I tried swapping firewire ports on the old mac, but that didn't work either. My problem, though, is that the disks do in fact appear on the new iMac's desktop (so everything works fine), but that the migration assistant doesn't seem to recognize that the event has happened. So the continue button remains gray. Any suggestions out there? TIA

Chuck

4. techsyspete macrumors newbie

If you've rebooted the new mac and it's still stubborn, try accessing the old drive to 'get the connection started,' so to speak before using Migration Assistant. Try and get both macs on the same or newest possible version of Mac OS (current, preferably), and, of course, check for updates. If all else fails, and you've got Leopard on both machines, you can try creating a Time Machine snapshot, as these can be "restored" at first boot on your new mac.

5. techsyspete macrumors newbie

Of course, with the firewire connection working you can transfer the contents of the folders in your home directory manually.

I know. We'll try to avoid it.

6. atest457 thread starter macrumors newbie

No joy...

I tried every possible combination and still no joy. You may be right that it's an issue where the old mac's system might be too old (10.1) to make it work. I'll just do things manually. Thanks for your help, have a good new year.

7. Since '84 macrumors newbie

None of that worked for me either. Then I found this on another forum. Success:

Quit the Migration Assistant, hook up the PB to the MB via FireWire in target disk mode, and, when the PB's HD shows up on the MB's Desktop, relaunch the Migration Assistant.