getting bookmarks from MB to new MP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rockinrocker, Jan 12, 2008.

1. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i feel like kind of an idiot for not being able to figure this out, but can some one tell me how to do this?

thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you are already a .Mac member then it's easy: let .Mac sync do it for you. If you are not a .Mac member then you can do this:

1) Quit Safari on the old machine (this is to ensure that all bookmarks are synced to disk)
    2) Copy the file ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist to the new machine (ensure Safari is not running on the new machine.

If you want to copy your history as so on copy the appropriate files from the same folder.

3. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

hi robbie, thanks a lot for the response.

i actually did copy that file over, but couldn't figure out what to do with it once i got it on the new machine....

i tried dragging it into the bookmarks window in safari, but it didn't really seem to do anything. (sorry if i seem really dense)

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You need to put the file in exactly the same location on the new machine. If it doesn't exist create it.

I think you could also do this using the migration assistant...

5. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

duh. of course. for some reason i was thinking it'd go right into safari for some reason...:rolleyes:

another one of many dumb moments on my part. thanks for your help.