getting btfon wifi to work- help!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pez.rand, Feb 4, 2012.

1. pez.rand macrumors newbie

hi there,

im working in wales away from home with no internet access except for my iphone (only 2g signal though) although there is a btfon and btopenzone network within range. however when i connect to the btfon or openzone network (which it does) when i load up any url in chrome or safari i get this error;

The server at www.google.co.uk can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.

ive googled this loads and i havent found a solution yet, ive tried adding the google dns servers, turning the firewall off, flushed the firewall.

does btfon actually work? could it be due to hub issues (which i obviously cant play with)

im trying to get internet to get my xbox online for cod, im having to do it with the internet sharing on the mac, that was hard enough but just before i was going to give up ive managed to get it to work with my iphone tethering my mac, although it lets me sign into xbox live and see what friends are online thats about all the 2g signal can deal with, obviously not enough for cod...

if anyone can help or has any bt fon/ dns lookup(whatever that is) issues i would appreciate it greatly,

perry

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I think for btfon, you have to have BT internet at home, and to have agreed to allow your homehub to used by others as a btfon internet access. Do you have that? For BT Openzone, you need to register for an account.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

That is correct, but to put a not-too-fine point on the matter, BTFon blows. It hardly ever works. It is so bad that I am seriously considering complaining to OFCOM and the OFTS. Anybody else get BTFon to work reliably?