Getting button presses when phone held to face

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by retrospek, Jun 24, 2010.

1. retrospek macrumors 6502a

retrospek

Anyone else with this issue on iPhone 4.

When I'm on a call my face is activating the buttons on the screen (such as mute !)

I never had this issue with 3GS.

Seems like the proximity sensor isn't working correctly.

2. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

You shouldnt be holding a cell phone up to your face on a regular basis, you technically should be using a wired headset...

But I wonder if its just something in the 4.0 software they need to tweak? Seems like there are some bugs that have to be fixed so its not out of the question.

3. paulyras macrumors 6502

I'm having the exact same issue, but I keep hitting speakerphone. I think you're right about the proximity sensor not working well. I hope this is a software fix. I don't want to deal with a swap and fast.
    Let me know if you come up with any ideas...

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I assume you’re not covering the sensor with a case? It does sound like your proximity sensor is messed up. I wouldn’t think this could be fixed by a software update.

5. MRSooner macrumors newbie

6. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Who the hell says so? :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm having the same issue. :( It's the only problem I've found with this phone so far, and I hope there's a fix soon.

7. chrfr macrumors 603

I too have the problem. In the 3 phone calls I've made, I accidentally pressed the FaceTime button, muted another call, and for the 3rd call, I ended the call and called back, without ever taking the phone away from my face. This is a far worse annoyance than having to hold the phone a specific way.

8. robotkiller macrumors 6502

robotkiller

Used to have this problem on my Droid - which was way worse in this regard than the iPhone4. I haven't had any problems so far.

9. ringemaster macrumors member

I've had this issue too.....only I found out after being on hold w/Apple for 25 minutes. When he finally picked up on the other end I got a 'Hello? Hello? F***in A. [Click]"

10. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I had this happen on 1 of about 10 calls this afternoon so far. It was an important one; luckily, all I ended up hitting was 5# and didn't hang up on the guy.

11. Jnyce macrumors regular

In another thread it was stated that the placement of the the proximity sensor was the culprit of said issue. I found that when you adjust the phone to a almost vertical angle the problem doesn't occur anymore. YMMV

12. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

WTF - Seriously?

Wow. It's a phone first. It's meant to be used as a phone. Technically, you should be able to hold it up to your face to use it before the ability of using it as a headset. ;)

13. flavamactop macrumors member

What? I also recommend never breathing through your mouth, and only through your nose.

14. LadyC macrumors newbie

This happened to my boyfriend and I today - his ear started pushing the number keys (owww loud DTMF tones), and when I took the phone away from my ear my contacts were up, with the green bar at the top saying return to call. Very strange.