Getting care protection plan before reselling?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chfilm, Dec 21, 2013.

1. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

Hi,
    Th deadline for me getting a care protection plan for my late 2012 iMac runs out on December 30, and I don't know wether I should get one or not. Thing is I plan purchasing a nMP next year maybe in April or so and selling the iMac. Do you think the raised value through the protection plan would be worth the cost?

2. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

it will never raise the cost to more than the plan costs because the new owner can just buy it themselves anyway

just inform the new owner they can do this and don't waste your time/money

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

That would not make sense if you are selling before the end of the month, and still wouldn't give a buyer much time to make the AppleCare purchase.
    If that will make a difference in the money you get for selling with AppleCare active, then do it now.
    However, I doubt that the added value will cover your cost of purchasing the AppleCare, when you plan to sell early next year, anyway.
    And, by that time, it will be too late for the buyer to purchase AppleCare, so IMHO, AppleCare would not be of much benefit to you, the seller.

4. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

The new owner won't be able to purchase the plan since the deadline is in December and I won't sell it before April.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't think the small increase in used sale price will come even close to what you are going to pay for Applecare. I would not do it.