Getting CD Track names off the CD when they arnt in iTunes

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by techfreak85, Mar 1, 2009.

1. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Ok so i got this new CD of a local band, and i played it in my car and it displays the name of each track that it plays cause it seems like its embedded in the file or something. but why dosnt it show up with those names on my mac? thanks.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Yes, you would think iTunes would be smart enought to pull the information off the CD-text if it is there. But no, it always goes to the on-line Grace Notes database to get the information. Even if the embadded information is more reliable.

How to fix this? Go to Cupertino California and kick a few software developers in the butt. Or better kick one of the managers. (I can say that because I am a software developer, many times that is what it takes)

Here is an explanation about how it works.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text

BTW Grace Notes is an independent database, not controled by Apple. "Everyone" uses it. You can upload data to it. If you do, then the next person ripping the CD will get the information

3. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Of course, the problem is also that anyone can upload data to it. I can't count the times that loading the CD name, track info, etc. for a second or third CD in a set is formatted completely differently than the first. Or song names that are wrong or obviously misspelled. There are eighty versions of some "mix tape" CD that somebody has uploaded to clutter up the good information. There is no QC/QA happening at Grace Note. Its a great idea but a crappy implementation.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Especially since it can actually *write* CD Text!

5. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

+1!