Getting clam shell matte piece replaced on SR Mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Mar 7, 2008.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 603

thadoggfather

it has severe backlighting bleed down the middle and to the left and right. the right side (last 1/3 to the right) is considerably darker... it's a 9C67. I hope I get a display with uniform lighting and NO yellow... Also when I close the lid, it clicks several times as I lower it before it's completely shut (I've had the latch replaced -- it's the clamshell)

cross fingers...

they had to order the part so by next week, I should have it.

2. PDE macrumors 68020

So you decided to go ahead? Given that you're not happy with it, that's probably a good idea. Once you notice these things, it's hard to 'unnotice' them again. The clicking would never have gotten better, just worse.

Good luck and let us know how things work out. Hope you get a good one!

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

hopefully the part should come in soon (the guy said probably no later than tuesday)!

4. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

replacement is much brighter. i havent checked for uniformity yet. but whites are white and not yellowish like my other lcd.

I'm happy :D I figure this one prolly has backlight bleed, and all of them probably do a little bit.

5. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

This screen is horrible actually. It has purple blobs in the middle... getting it replaced yet again.

6. PDE macrumors 68020

Hey,

That's great! Can you post a picture of some solid-colored desktops? Would be nice to see....btw, what model is it?

cheers and enjoy!

7. PDE macrumors 68020

Oops....I guess we posted at the same time! Sorry to hear that....where are the purple blobs and when are they visible? Pictures? Model?

8. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

9C67- it looks fine except these horrible purple blobs. they put in an order for another clamshell. whatever the next one is, as long as there are no purple blobs, i'll take it. i don't think any of them will have uniform lighting and perfectness. But this screen does seem more uniform in brightness at least. and theres no more clicking!

9. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

I'm getting mine replaced too. I took mine in yesterday. They had to order the part as well. They said they would call me when they get the part in and when they replace it.

Mine had bad backlight bleed too (and there was yellowing).

It actually sounds like your screen had a pressure point. Being that the lid is all aluminum, it would have been very difficult to straighten it out.

10. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

Apple QC has gone down the crapper. I'm getting really tired of crappy electronics. Not just from Apple, but any one.

I hope the part comes in ASAP.

11. PDE macrumors 68020

I totally agree. Most electronics companies have gone downhill. It's awful to feel that it's a complete lottery whether you get a good display or not. The 9c67 was what I had on my last MBP and it was beautiful with no real problems at all so it is a matter of individual units and generally poor quality control (LG, in this case, and then Apple).

Hope your next one is better!

12. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

For the money, it's outrageous. No more click though like we talked about earlier in another thread when closing the display. so it is a clamshell issue.

But this new screen with purple blobs is HORRENDOUS!

Are you happy with your Penryn MBP?

13. PDE macrumors 68020

I'm very happy with it. The screen does have slight uneven illumination (slightly darker on far left) , but 99% good so I'm ok. Otherwise it's all perfect with nothing bad at all. Quite impressed. Doesn't stop me from lusting after macbook airs though!

14. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

haha yeah the macbook airs look good.

I wonder, when you get the clamshell replaced, does the Display part of system preferences update what panel you have, or would you have to reinstall OS X for it to be accurate?

15. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

Just dropped it off. It'll be ready tomorrow.

Wish me luck! at this point I just want a screen that does not click and does not have any obvious defects. i think slight non-uniformity and bleeding is going to be on any panel so i don't really have unrealistic expectations.

16. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

got the second one back and ichat webcam isnt working on ichat or photo booth. this is the 4th repair in a month they are replacing it with a penrnymachine :D brand new out of box.

:D

17. PDE macrumors 68020

Nice! Congratulations. Seems like you made the right choice to go ahead with the repair so Apple could mess it up. If anybody ever wants a replacement machine, it's a good idea to let Apple try to repair minor things as they always seem to manage to mess something up. And, to make it better, when they try to repair the damage they made, the mess it up again! Finally, it's such a mess that they will offer you a new machine. Seriously, I've had that experience twice already.

How is the screen ? Let's hope your penryn has a good one!

18. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

They are backing up data right now...

So i'll have the machine in my hands in about 40 minutes to an hour.

I'm pretty excited. SR to Penryn isn't the most substantial update, but if they offer it to me free out of the box, I'm not going to complain in the slightest :D

yippy! I just have to call apple care and either get refunded on the apple care at a pro rated charge or transfer it over. i think i'll transfer it over since i paid $170 for it over eBay (what a steal!) and got my original MBP in October...

19. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

I got my MBP for $1699 too in october new! got it at the uni store for education price minus another $100 off because it was a special to get as many machines out the door as possible (to beat Apple B&M competition and preference). Also, as incentive to buy machines that are loaded with Tiger not leopard (but I got it at this price 2 days before Leopard actually came out)..

Minus my inconvenience, all is working out well. I'm impressed despite all the mess ups. They are definitely keeping me as a customer.

20. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

It's 9C81. Nice whites and everything. no yellowing.

haven't tested for backlight bleed/uniformity issues in the dark. i'm sure it has it, all the MBP's I've seen do, but it doesn't matter.

2.4 Penryn woot woot!

21. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 603

thadoggfather

I ran a dark HD trailer, this is the most uniform screen I've seen on any MBP! Not perfect, but not distracting at all!

wow great stuff!

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm hoping that Apple is use S-IPS panels one day.

Even if it means paying more, I think it's worth it.

23. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Do S-IPS even exist in 15" and 17"?