Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HHarm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
I figured the Dell UP2715K 5K monitor with OSX is mostly used with Mac Pros so that's why I'm asking this here....

I'm confused with the settings I should use on my software and photography equipment to get the correct colors. I've read quite a few articles but still I'm not sure what settings to use as the end result is the combination of all. Any help is appreciated!

I have a MP 5.1 with the UP2715K. I take pictures mostly with a Canon 5D Mark III and edit them with Lightroom and Photoshop. For video I us the 5D, my iPhone and a GoPro 4 black. The pictures end up mostly used online although I need some prints as well.

Here are some of the questions:
  • The camera: sRGB or AdobeRGB?
  • Monitor settings: which pre-set or custom settings to use? (I don't have an external calibrator at the moment)
  • OSX: what color profile to use?
  • Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere any settings I need to make?
  • Any other things I need to do or setup to get the combination optimized?
And another question....... why does Chrome display such saturated colors compared to Safari?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I figured the Dell UP2715K 5K monitor with OSX is mostly used with Mac Pros so that's why I'm asking this here....

I'm confused with the settings I should use on my software and photography equipment to get the correct colors. I've read quite a few articles but still I'm not sure what settings to use as the end result is the combination of all. Any help is appreciated!

I have a MP 5.1 with the UP2715K. I take pictures mostly with a Canon 5D Mark III and edit them with Lightroom and Photoshop. For video I us the 5D, my iPhone and a GoPro 4 black. The pictures end up mostly used online although I need some prints as well.

Here are some of the questions:
  • The camera: sRGB or AdobeRGB?
  • Monitor settings: which pre-set or custom settings to use? (I don't have an external calibrator at the moment)
  • OSX: what color profile to use?
  • Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere any settings I need to make?
  • Any other things I need to do or setup to get the combination optimized?
And another question....... why does Chrome display such saturated colors compared to Safari?

Congrats on the monitor. Just be weary that most consumer brand monitors which claim to be 10bit, or being able to display from a 10 billion color palette, or that they over high amount of Adobe RGB coverage, are doing so by using dithering tricks. So even if they can be used professionally, just don't compare them to an Eizo or NEC.

The GPU must also be able to display 10bit color to make full use of such a monitor. In most cases 8bit is fine though.

So your questions:

1. You should shoot AdobeRGB if you intend to print. You can always convert to sRGB for web usage. Most browsers can only display sRGB but maybe in a few years they will all display wide gamut profiles too.

When you do intend to print it would be helpful to make a copy of your image, set it to CMYK mode and then soft proof before you test hard proofs. There are many good articles online about soft proofing. Ask a good fine art printmaker if you have any questions. They know more about it than almost all photographers or editors.

2. Again, if you intend to print your monitor should be set to AdobeRGB or a calibrated profile. I don't know if your monitor stores profiles created by a calibrator, but in any case when you do calibrate you should end up with an ICC file that you can use in your OSX display preferences.

As ever, when you intend to save a version for the web, you will have to convert the JPEG to an sRGB profile and check the results of different devices.

For web use, don't worry about DPI. Web browsers ignore this. Most people still think digital formats have to be 72DPI. This is a widespread myth. Even the file size isn't reduced by dropping from 300 to 72DPI, yet people blindly believe it does.

If you don't have a calibrator yet don't worry, just set the monitor to AdobeRGB mode. OS X generally applies a profile for the monitor automatically. In most cases you will be OK unless you have some colours which are very hard to reproduce digitally.

3. Just stick to these basics for now otherwise you will confuse yourself. There are many so called pros out there who think they know about these things but they can't get it right after many years. It's better to keep it simple and just keep refining, not adding more complication. Learn, refine, master, then learn more.

When you feel more comfortable and understand soft proofing, hard proofing and web output, then you can get into the more complicated side of things such as the enormous variety of paper profiles, the vast number of printers, how ambient light and color temperatures influence our perception of colours, the limits and deficiencies of human eyesight, how the visual cortex interprets images, etc

It's a neverending story because the technology keeps evolving. Enjoy the trip!

Mr Ski 73

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
You need to buy an x-rite i1 Display Pro and then run hardware calibration. It is the only device that will allow you to do this. Then read this

https://photographylife.com/how-to-properly-calibrate-dell-u2413-u2713h-u3014-monitors

1 Basically shoot Abobe RGB on camera. If you select sRGB then you will loose a lot of benefit of having a wide colour gamut monitor and you may as well have purchased the P2715
2 Set the colour on the monitor to be the profile established by the x-rite. What I don't know is how you select this given its hardware rather than software generated.
3 Leave LR and PS as normal.
4 The only other thing is to get hold of a colour passport and profile your camera and then use that profile in LR.

No idea ref web browser.

BTW which graphics card are you using?

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I figured the Dell UP2715K 5K monitor with OSX is mostly used with Mac Pros

What's your general impression of it (and which GPU are you using)? Is it stable through sleep / wake cycles etc, or are you having to do plug / unplug or power cycle dances with it? Really thinking of lining one of these up as my next big hardware purchase.

HHarm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
You need to buy an x-rite i1 Display Pro and then run hardware calibration. It is the only device that will allow you to do this. Then read this

https://photographylife.com/how-to-properly-calibrate-dell-u2413-u2713h-u3014-monitors

1 Basically shoot Abobe RGB on camera. If you select sRGB then you will loose a lot of benefit of having a wide colour gamut monitor and you may as well have purchased the P2715
2 Set the colour on the monitor to be the profile established by the x-rite. What I don't know is how you select this given its hardware rather than software generated.
3 Leave LR and PS as normal.
4 The only other thing is to get hold of a colour passport and profile your camera and then use that profile in LR.

No idea ref web browser.

BTW which graphics card area you using?

1. If I shoot RAW does the selection really matter? Doesn't Lightroom convert the RAW to ProPhoto RGB and any conversions to Adobe RGB and sRGB comes when exporting?
2. Lets see if I understand this correctly..... I would use the Dell calibration software with the x-rite in Windows. With that calibration I will have the optimal LUT settings for CAL 1 (and 2) and an ICC profile (an *.icm file). The LUT is hardware based and thus works with the OSX installation as well? And I would the use the ICC profile created in Windows in OSX?

It seems to me that the browsers aren't using color profiles properly. Chrome had very vivid and saturated colors for all web page elements. For pictures I exported into sRGB and published in OneDrive skintones were overly red. Compared to Chrome Safari seemed quite muted but it's probably just showing the colors as they should be as the pictures I published looked realistic and the same as in Lightroom. I also loaded the OneDrive pictures with my 9.7" iPad Pro. It should have great color reproduction and it was much closer to Safari than Chrome. I also tried Firefox. First it showed colors like Chrome but when I went into about:config and changed the color management keys it showed colors just like Safari.

I have MVC modded 980Ti.
[doublepost=1465199613][/doublepost]
What's your general impression of it (and which GPU are you using)? Is it stable through sleep / wake cycles etc, or are you having to do plug / unplug or power cycle dances with it? Really thinking of lining one of these up as my next big hardware purchase.

Like you've noticed I don't have the expertise to comment on the color reproduction although I'm really thrilled with the colors after using a Dell 3007WFP for almost 10 years. The Dell had a horribly yellow tint for the last years. Now I'm seeing white again, proper skin tones and the greens and other primaries are much more vivid that that I'm used to.

It's really great to work on a 2560x1440 working area with the added resolution. For me it's much better that the 1920x1080 working are you get with a 4K monitor.

Currently I don't have many problems. When I boot the MP into OSX the resolution is 2560x1440. I have to turn the screen off and then back on again to get into 5120x2880. Windows 10 works straight away so this is an OSX quirk.

Sometimes thought not often the two display signals don't sync properly. At that point you have to turn the screen of and then unplug the power. After that it works fine but if you don't do the power cycle quick enough the screen will flicker for an hour. According to the documentation it's a feature.

On some occasions OSX reverts back into using OSX drivers for the GPU. Then you have to turn the NVIDIA webdrivers on again. Also updating OSX is sometimes a bit of a chore as things get a little complicated if you forget to install the new web drivers first (or the web drivers itself require the new OSX version like once happened). I've always managed to get everything working without an unreasonable amount of hassle. I also have an old OSX compatible GPU's that I can revert to using if everything would fail. I would recommend this to anybody with the 980 and UP2715K combination.

A few times I've wondered if a failed boot that ended up automatically rebooting OSX was caused by the display but I'm not sure. I rarely get this and it has happened when I've tinkered with settings, updates or HW changes.

The start was somewhat discouraging as this is not a plug and play display. Everything has to be done in the correct order, some terminal commands are needed and I needed to do some research to get everything working. Since then it's been mostly smooth sailing.

I'm happy with the display. I'm certain that it will never become totally hassle free due MST signal and because the GPU needs NVIDIA web drivers. I only hope that the OSX would be updated so that the display would wake directly into 5120x2880.

Last edited:

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I'm happy with the display. I'm certain that it will never become totally hassle free due MST signal and because the GPU needs NVIDIA webdrivers. I only hope that the OSX would be updated so that the display would wake directly into 5120x2880.

That's a shame, I was hoping it had become a little more turnkey now that it was officially supported on the 2013. If you go down the road of getting a hardware calibrator (which from the reviews, especially HotHardware's, looks like being a major boost in colour accuracy), this looks to be the download for the Mac version of Dell's software to allow it to talk to the display directly:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/au/en/audhs1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=NMM5W

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.