Getting cracked palmrest fixed after "possible" new MacBook release.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jmann, Aug 15, 2008.

1. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    So I have been dealing with keeping my cracked palmrest, and noisy trackpad button on my 5 month-old from getting any worse by applying scotch tape over the crack, and I have been thinking about taking it to the apple store and getting it repaired. But my main question is IF the new MacBooks are released in September and I take mine in to get fixed after the white ones are discontinued, will they be able to still repair mine or would they be willing to "swap" it out for a new one? :confused: Please give me your guess/opinions.

Thanks

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

they should be able to fix it, and they won't offer you the newer version. Except if you want to buy it as it's own thing (no upgrade option).

3. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

I know that my grandma was able to have her PowerBook G4 fixed about 5 months ago, so you should be able to have your MacBook fixed after a new model is released.

4. Mackan macrumors 65816

I am sure they have manufactured a big pile of MacBook topcases to cover for the crack issue the coming 3 years. Only if they have no new topcase to offer you, they will replace it with a new model.

5. lovetheduns macrumors regular

When I swapped out my 4GB iPhone (in March 2008 so for the most part recent), I was shocked that they had plenty of 4GB in the stockroom for use by the Genius Bar. I mentioned that to the genius and he said that there are always plenty of your model as well as the parts so there would never be an opportunity to get the newer model when your older model is still under warranty type of thing.

So-- pretty much I think it is a fat chance that you would get the new macbook especially for something relatively cosmetic. And I am sure with the issues of the cracking (from now what I have read since experiencing it myself) I am quite sure Apple has plenty of replacement casings to go around.

6. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

Cracked Junk

They're going to fix my piece of crap junk cracked keyboard no question.
    They should fix your piece of crap junk cracked keyboard as well no question.
    If they give you any crap hit the technician over the head with the junk!;)