Getting data from 3GS onto 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jh344, Oct 18, 2011.

1. jh344 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I just got ahold of my 4S today and have synced it with my itunes. I was hoping that my text messages and gaming data would be copied over from my 3GS backup onto my 4S, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've now traded in my 3GS so no chance of getting any more data of that itself, but is there any way for me to somehow get my old texts added onto my new phone? I'm guessing itunes still has a backup of my old phone hidden somewhere...

Also any idea about previous in-app purchases from my 3GS? The apps themselves have transfered over with no problem, but all data within them has been reset, and I really don't want to have to go about getting 3 stars on every level of Angry Birds again!

Thanks in advance

2. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

You may find that your new phone has overwritten your old backups, but you may be lucky.

Plug the new phone into iTunes. If possible stop it syncing before it backs up (just to increase the chances of an old backup not being overwritten). Then right click on the Phone under devices on the left bar in iTunes and select restore from backup.

It will bring up a list of available backups. Hopefully one of them will be from your old phone. They should give you the time and date of the backup which will help you identify then.

If there isn't one there from your 3GS then I don't know of any other options. Someone else may be able to help though.

3. iKidWare macrumors member

I came from 3GS as well, go to iTunes and AppStore and you can redownload ALL your previous purchases, your contacts are more than likely gone and your texts are almost definetly gone. I figure if they care enough about you they will call or text u eventually and you will slowly get there numbers back.

4. jh344 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep that worked, brilliant! Thank you!