Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omni Geno

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
Los Angeles, CA, USA
So after long last I am getting an iPhone 4S. I've had this first gen iPod touch for over 4 years now, and have accumulated lots of saved game data on it.

Am I going to be able to transfer the saved game data (which I assume is located in an undisclosed part of the backup files on my computer) from the first gen iPod touch to the iPhone 4S, or am I going to have to start fresh with all my games?

I don't care about music, other audio, contacts, and the apps themselves because I have backups of those everywhere. It's just that Apple doesn't make it straightforward to view and transfer things like saved games and such.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
The only way to restore from backup is to restore from backup while setting up your iPhone 4S at home; assuming you have everything saved on that backup and if that backup will restore to your iPhone 4S.

You cannot specifically look at saved data because the backup files are written in gibberish files and folders. Only iTunes can decrypt these backup files for use.

Omni Geno

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Thanks for the reply, Tech Elementz. Yes, I do have a good backup of my iPod touch and all its data on it. I guess my question was whether or not a backup of an iPod touch running its max OS (3.1.3) will even work for restoring to a 4S running iOS 5. And I'd only need this for the saved games and not necessary the other stuff.

I'm gathering from what you said that I get all or nothing and can't selectively say "I don't need the music, contacts, etc"?

Edit: Has anyone tried PhoneView? It looks like it might do what I'm looking for, but I can't try it 'til I get my 4S.

Last edited:

Epiphron

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010
or you can wait until developers start supporting icloud. I know doodle jump already allows you to sync game saves between devices

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.