Getting Data from Treo to iPhone - do they do it instore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wingnut330, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Hello all,

I know that Apple Stores offer a service where they copy your files from a PC to a new Mac. Do they do the same for iPhones? I have a Treo that I have never sync'd with my MBP and am hoping to get the data onto the iPhone then sync rather than buy software for a one time sync.

Thoughts?

2. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

I honestly don't think they do

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

No, you have to do all data transfers yourself.

4. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bummer - are there any good tools that are free that will sync my WM Treo?

5. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Just a guess but I would say no. I say no because with pc's and macs there are standards to allow them to transfer data that is reliable and will be available on most pc's such as USB or an ethernet card.

Cell phones on the other hand have a million different ways of transferring data to and from them. A lot of phones have proprietary programs to allow transfer to and from it. You might get lucky if they have it setup for popular setups like ActiveSync or whatever sync software Palm uses (is it still Palm Desktop? sorry last time I had one was a Palm VII). I wouldn't count on it though.

6. mac-I-bear macrumors member

treo - iphone - mac

i have a treo and waiting for july 11
    i got a program call "contact manager" by easyhelper contact manager.
    got it some time ago at handango store. since my treo died but i had installed the software on the mem card instead of main memory and was able to use it again. this program copies all the info in your contacts into a text file on the mem card then i moved the file into my MBP and copy and paste into address book. it is a cumbersome process but i have ALL my contacts ready to go by july 11

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

If you currently sync your treo to your computer then all your info will move with your first iPhone sync.

If you DON'T sync, then you'll have to find an over the air sync solution to move the data to your mac to sync, at least temporarily. For calendars, google calendar isn't bad.

Because mobile devices use OSes that are created with the assumption that backups to a PC are occurring it is hard to move data without a PC/mac.

8. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll likely just end up with missing sync, I was just hoping for a free solution.

9. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Unfortunately, probably not.

Part of it is also the peculiarities of mobile devices...they're built to sync to "known" computers, so it would probably complicate life for the apple store and the end-user if there was a random one-off computer being used to move data around. :(

Sorry...the only other idea I have for you is to sync to a windows computer and try to save the backed up outlook files, then move them to ical/address book. THOSE might be moveable from a pc-->mac. Still kludgy, but then you wont have to spring for Missing Sync.

10. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

If you have exchange on your windows mobile phone you can use a free service like mail2web live. It will sync ota all your contacts/calendar items/tasks(not that the iPhone supports them). Then, when 2.0 comes out for the iPhone you would just enter the mail2web settings in the exchange section, and you should be all synced up.

11. EricShaw macrumors newbie

Not in store, but here's what I have done (and not done yet)

Heya,

I don't know if they transfer your data in store, probably not.

But you can transfer your contacts by going to Palm Desktop and exporting them as vcards, then importing into iTunes and thus onto your iPhone.

Same with events - you can export from Palm Desktop as vcal files, then into iTunes, then into your iPhone.

The one thing that sucks with the iPhone is that it doesn't have an equivalent of the Memo app - it has a sucky 'Notes' app that is in a crap font, can't be categorized or searched easily.

Anyone have an iPhone app suggestions to take short notes - keep passwords, jot down ideas or things to jog the memory?

Lemme know!