Getting data of an old AST-4074-MAC hard drive

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by dstehle, Nov 19, 2013.

1. dstehle macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an SE (2-floppy port only) that also had a remote hard drive - an AST-4074-MAC.

The SE is dead, but I think the hard drive might still work and I'd like to get the old files off it and copied to my PC (win7).

Digging around I see that I might be able to get a SCSI to USB adaptor to connect it to the PC, and using an emulator program (http://www.emulators.com/explorer.htm) be able to read the AST and copy files to the PC.

Has anyone done anything like this before? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

David

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

SCSI to USB adapter are hard to find and expensive. I don't think anything short of another Mac will be able to read that drive.

3. tdiaz macrumors 6502

You're absolutely best off using a Mac to read it, though MacDrive from MediaFour will do a decent job if the drive is hooked to Windows.

SCSI to USB is pricey, rare and voodoo. If that is truly your only option, you're better off getting a SCSI card for a desktop PC and using MacDrive.

Depending on location, you might just be able to find someone who can hook it up, and burn a CD, like what I do with drives here.

This is all assuming the drive still works.