Getting daughter iPhone, best iTunes set up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lowonthe456, Nov 18, 2011.

1. lowonthe456 macrumors 6502

I want my daughter to be able to buy music/apps on gift cards and such. She's 10 so she wouldnt have a credit card, so how would I keep out purchases separate? I have iTunes Match and don't want her music in with mine.

Suggestions?? :)

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

A bit of Lazy Town wouldn't hurt :cool:

Make her a separate account? Don't sync with same computer, or same user account?

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

4. netslacker macrumors 6502

This works here.

Just know that you have to have the gift card first in order to create the iTunes account as you can't create one without a method of payment. So, buy the gift card and have her create the account using it. Then when you want to issue her more money/music/apps/etc you can either gift the items right from your iTunes account or you can issue another gift card right from iTunes that she can then deposit to her own account. Works slick.

5. lowonthe456 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you do that? I just don't want her songs in my itunes match if I put her on my account.

;)

----------

I see, so the original gift card then becomes the default card, and after she can just redeem whatever gift cards as one normally would though itunes. Thats cool, I was thinking about that but I did'nt think Apple would allow that

6. Zcott macrumors 68020

Yep, I'm in the UK but created a US account with a US iTunes gift card. Worked fine.

7. AnionicStrength macrumors member

This is untrue. Please take a look at the following Support Article:

Creating an iTunes App Store account without a credit card

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534

8. lowonthe456 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice catch Anionic, can she create her own account on my credit card?

9. netslacker macrumors 6502

I don't know how iTunes Match works but I know for sure you can create iTunes accounts with gift cards as I've done it many, many times. The only thing I can think of is that if she uses the same computer as you with the same login (i.e.: she doesn't have her own user on the computer but you all share the same) then her music will end up in iTunes along with yours. I'm assuming that iTunes Match would only match music that belongs to the account holder if this were the case but I have no clue. This is the only potential gotcha that I can think of. If she's got her own computer or uses a separate user account on the 'family' computer then you're set.

10. lowonthe456 thread starter macrumors 6502

She will be getting a used iMac for Xmas so she would have her very own Mac and a used iPhone 4.

11. netslacker macrumors 6502

Interesting, it looks like the process has changed slightly. Before you had to have a method of payment, which could be a CC, a GC or even a download code for an app to create an account.... either way it looks like the OP is set to have his daughter easily create her own account to keep their music separate.

12. lowonthe456 thread starter macrumors 6502

13. AnionicStrength macrumors member

The point is that you can create an account for her now, without a gift card or credit card, so that she can download free apps, use iMessage, and iCloud.

It's up to you to decide how responsible you think your daughter is, but if it were me, I would want to avoid unexpected credit card purchases. You can get her gift cards or codes to get her store credit to buy paid apps.

You can purchase gift codes instantly by logging into the iTunes store on your account and clicking "Buy iTunes Gifts" on the left side. The code will be delivered to the email address you specify.

Alternatively you can "Gift" specific apps or music or even set up an allowance.

See the following Support article to learn about the different gift options available:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2736

Refer to this Support article for how to redeem gift codes:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1574

14. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

15. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Am I the only one who think there's something wrong with this statement applied to a 10 year old?

16. Almy macrumors 6502

I've known people in their 20's not mature enough for a smart phone. I've known children under 10 with plenty of maturity and focus to be able to have one. Other than that, yes it's easy to set up her own account without a CC. Can also be a good way to start learning to budget.

17. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

There are responsible kids out there. This is 2011, not 1991. Kids that age are way smarter and more technology advanced than we were.