Getting default ICNS image when trying to Change Folder Icon

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Trolldavid, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Trolldavid macrumors newbie

Trolldavid

Hi,

Tried a search but not be lucky so hoping someone out there has solved this one before.....

Been trying to change some of the default icons Apple provide with third party .icns files by opening the folder info window in finder by using the 'get info' command, then clicking the icon in the top left hand corner (so it is has the tiny blue halo) and then edit-paste in the new icon. Sometimes it works (have changed some successfully) but now when I try, instead of the pasted icon displaying the icon image, I get the generic or default icon image for an icns icon displayed, see the screen grab attachment for what I mean

Can anyone advise me as to whats not working correctly?

thanks, David

Attached Files:

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

When you make an *.icns file with Icon Composer, it will be just like that. If that icon was downloaded from the web than it should already have been set to work. .

Anyway, you need a program called icns2rsrc Launch the app, open the icns image, and then save it. It will save as an rsrc file, and you can "Get info" on that.

3. Trolldavid thread starter macrumors newbie

Trolldavid

OK, just followed your advice and hey presto, it works great :D

Thanks very much for your post, much appreciated, David

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

No problem, check out this thread for info on some more advanced icon changing (for dynamic icons like Adium, or NetNewsWire, if you use those).

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=712590

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

easiest way is to open in Preview, click on the image and copy it then paste onto the Get Info window icon.