Getting Desktop Effects to work in Ubuntu for Parallels

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thewhitehart, May 1, 2007.

1. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I just recently installed Ubuntu Feisty Fawn in Parallels on my imac.

Is it possible to get Desktop Effects to work, or beryl? Every time I try enabling the desktop effects, the screen goes white and nothing happens. I tried raising the virtual machine's video ram to 32 mb, but it hasn't helped.

2. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I have Ubuntu installed under parallels and it will not work. The effects need more than 32mb of video memory and parallels will not do more than that. You do not get Aero under Vista either.

Evo

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Desktop effect's compositor relies on the video card in the way that OpenGL, DirectX, Quartz Extreme, etc, do. Until Parallels gets the ability to pass video ops to the card (which is being worked on), this isn't going to happen, even if it allowed for 64 or 128MB of system memory to act as Parallel's video memory. CPUs cannot effectively do these visuals in realtime.

4. thewhitehart thread starter macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Thanks. Guess I'll just have to wait for a Parallels update. On another note, the microphone isn't working. It used to work with Edgy Eft in Parallels.