Getting Diablo 2 at high res on a mac

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by juliancs, Jan 18, 2010.

1. juliancs macrumors 6502

I'm desperately trying to figure this out. After doing it with Warcraft III following these instructions:
    http://antjedi.homeip.net/wordpress/?p=19

I'm looking at the preference files in Diablo 2 to try and do the same. So far, after changing the resolutions, my screen stays at res, but the game just sits in a black box. Anyone have any clues/pointers? I know there is a hack for the windows version - any way that could be ported over? I was thinking of using crossover to play diablo 2 in mac and install the windows hack that way?

Cheers!

I'm only playing single player, by the way.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

My D2x default install played at full screen (at 800x600, which is the highest D2 will go).

Maybe there's a 'Full Screen' option in the video settings? Oh, what happens when you hold the 'option' key on your keyboard when you open the game?

3. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

I am not sure I understand fully what you are trying to do, but D2 wasn't designed in 3d so multiple resolutions aren't available. It was a 2d game and the artwork is set to 800x600 (or 640x480 which was the original resolution that the game shipped in).

If you play it in FullScreen mode, it can only go to 800x600. Hacks won't work.

4. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

5. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

I see now. Clever.

Alas, I think you might be out of luck as I saw several references to DirectX. If this mod is utilizing DX, it most likely won't be available for OSX. Best to play it in Bootcamp.

6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

That is just a hack that someone came up with that makes the game draw more information then it is supposed to. Thus, because of the way the hack is done, it requires windows. You can't do this on a Mac.

7. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

That settles it then. I'll play through parallels.