getting directions using EDGE...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kgiglio2, Jun 25, 2007.

1. kgiglio2 Guest

for the most part you can assume that when you are getting directions (i.e. in a car), you will not have wifi access.

if you need directions fairly quickly, say if you are coming up to an exit or street you are unusre of...how long do you think it will take edge to get you the directions that are such an awesome feature of maps on the iphone???

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not that fast.

Get the directions before you start driving.

3. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

I hope that you can save the directions becaus I'm not sure if I'm getting the data plan or not. It depends on the pricing.. I have WiFi at home and I'm satisfied with my PPU data and unlimited AT&T messaging. But that will probably change.

4. yayaba macrumors 6502

I seriously don't understand people's problems with EDGE. It's NOT THAT SLOW.

I can get a sustained 25-30kb/sec... that's kiloBYTES per second on my phone with EDGE already. When I search Gmaps, I just have to wait for my phone to connect but once it does, it's relatively speedy and I can search for restaurants, get directions, etc.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Where do you live? You must live where there's no (or few) other users on the same cell as you!

6. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

yeah, it isn't terrible. its not 3G or really, really fast broadband, but i dont plan on replacing my computer with it. like he said, once my phone connects to it, it downloads pretty fast. it just takes a while to connect.

7. HitmanX macrumors regular

3G is not even available in my city, so to me EDGE was a fine choice. Of course 3G support would be nice, but for me, I would not have that much use for it. Unless I went constantly to Seattle, or something.

8. yayaba macrumors 6502

I'm from the Sacramento, CA area. I travel to the Bay Area frequently as that's where my parents live and there I get similiar speeds as well.

Maybe it's a Northern California thing then...

9. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

thats true. at&t has been so sllloowwww at deploying 3G it's ridicules. most big cities have it, but we are still without it in charleston, sc .. the HOLY city.

10. mlukens macrumors member

I agree but if you have ever used a phone with 3g it's apretty big difference.

11. HitmanX macrumors regular

I wish 3G would be mainstream like in Japan, it is a standard over there. Maybe one day we will catch up:rolleyes:

12. yayaba macrumors 6502

Maybe... I've yet to use a 3g phone.

That's probably a good thing then in the iPhone's case :).

13. meagain macrumors 68030

That's right. Night and day.

14. mrowl macrumors regular

I hope I am driving no where near you if you are trying to get directions off of a smartphone.

15. brooker macrumors regular

One-handed input will likely be difficult... So let's all just agree right now: no iPhone use while driving!

Now if you are a passenger, and looking to guide the driver, that is a different story. it takes me about 1 minute to pull up an address or directions on my Treo 650 over gprs... so it should be faster than that.

16. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Takes my blackberry pearl about 15 seconds to get directions.