Getting ebooks from my pc to my ipod touch 2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ikar, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Ikar macrumors newbie

Hello!

I've got a problem : I'm a big fan of ebooks on portable devices, and I've got a few .doc format ebooks from my old mp3 player on my pc, which I'd like to put on my Ipod touch. But I'm connected to the net with a modem, not wi-fi, so I can't do it with stanza, or any other app that allows to download ebooks from the net. Is there any way to get the file straight from my computer to the ipod, without bothering with internet?

Thanks for your help!

2. Ikar thread starter macrumors newbie

Up?

Up?:)
    I'm sorry, I know this is a difficult question.

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

You'll need a wifi router. From the Stanza website:

If you have an iPod Touch, rather than an iPhone, you will need wifi access (or a computer with a wifi card) to transfer books. Apple does not let third-party apps use the wired USB dock connection.

4. Ikar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but are you positive there is NO other way of transferring my files than using a wi fi connection? 'cause if it is the case, I'm in some deep ****:(

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I suppose if you jailbreak it there might be some way to manually transfer the files over. I think you'd probably get some good tips over at the Stanza Forums.

6. Ikar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'm going to have a look :))) And I'm definitely going to jailbreak it if it makes my pc to ipod touch transfer possible. But I must say, even though I've read lots of posts on the fact that it's completly safe to jailbreak, I'm still not that confident...:confused:

Anyway, thanks!

7. Ikar thread starter macrumors newbie

No such luck... they say it's impossible... but someone must have created an app to do wired transfer for ipod touch!

8. sweetchuck90 macrumors newbie

i managed to get my ebooks from my pc to ipod touch in a round about way by converting them to jpeg format (and just transfering the pictures) using a program called "PDFill Writer" from download.com if your ebooks are in lit or pdf formats you can get convert to txt or doc programs. open your file in your word processing program. then you might have to increase text size, go to file then print instead of using your normal printer change to PDFill pdf&image writer when it comes up click on the jpeg tab on the toolbar then the create image button and that is that hope this works for you

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I know it sucks but your going to have to break down and get a wireless router. you can get a pretty cheap one on ebay.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Nobody can make apps like that, even though many people would agree that it would be useful, because Apple doesn't allow using USB cables to transfer files to the Touch. :(

I do have a jailbroken Touch, which does let me transfer files onto it through the USB cable, but apps from the app store aren't made to work with files that way, so copying ebooks over to your Touch from USB doesn't let apps like Stanza open them. Sometimes you can fool apps into working with files copied this way, but then odd things creep in, because that's not how they were designed to work. So I agree with the posters who suggested you get a wireless router. Unfortunately, that's the best way to get ebooks onto your Touch.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

even if it worked the readers may not even see it. the readers don't share files even if they are in the same format. this was weird after using my pda I could use any reader that saw that format to read it. with the iphone you have to download it with each reader.

12. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

You say you don't have a router but does you computer have a wifi adapter? if it does you can turn your computer into a router of sorts just so that you can share it to your touch! if your on mac just go into system preferences and select sharing then select internet and then share it to your airport card.

13. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

The OP did mention that he is using a PC, not a Mac. I don't think he has a wifi adapter in his computer.

14. Ikar thread starter macrumors newbie

That's right, I'm using a PC, and it can't do the router thing. But it's alright, since I'm going to my sister's place in a week, and she's got wi-fi:):).
    But about the transfer files to ipod touch (or iphone) over USB thing : I've been working a bit on the problem, to try to get my ebooks on the ipod, and I found a great program : iPhoneBrower does the trick, you can navigate through your iPhone's folders and files just like any other device. So I used that to transfer my pdf ebooks to the image folder, and read them with readdle docs. But then that's not a very good solution, because readdle docs isn't really designed for ebooks-reading, and it's really uncomfortable. So I thought : why not do the same thing with eReader? So I converted my pdf files to pdb, and put them in the same folder where the example books given with the app are, but when I look on my ipod touch, it just isn't there...
    I spent quite a lot of time trying to find a solution to the whole problem, and I didn't get anywhere, so I'm just gonna wait a few days until I get wi-fi access ^^

15. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I'm glad to hear you found a program to solve the problem. It's weird because the moment I read that I remembered I am using a similar program called Phoneview that came with the last Macheist bundle. I'm sorry I didn't think of it to begin with! :eek:

16. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

OK, I should learn never to post before I've had my morning coffee (as if that's an excuse for my retardedness). I just got done telling someone else you were using a PC, not a Mac and then I went and recommended an OS X app. Duuuuh.

Anyway, iPhonebrowser seems to be the Windows equivalent of Phoneview. :)

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Was all of that really worth it just to get a few e-books onto your iPod?

18. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

All of what?

In the end he just installed a program that allows him to easily transfer the files he wanted to move over.

I prefer Stanza's wifi downloading personally, but he didn't have that option so he needed an alternative.

19. Ikar thread starter macrumors newbie

That's right : iPhoneBrowser was a very simple solution in the end, it just took me a long time to find out it existed... And I got bonus : now I can use my ipod touch to store any kind of data I want, like on any USB stick! I can just put the files in any folder I want, and take them out later... Really useful!

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

you can sign up with fictionwise and then upload your books. then find a wifi spot and download them. no cost at all and pretty easy.

21. Ikar thread starter macrumors newbie

:D Got it! :D

I finally found the perfect solution!!! Ok, so this is how it works for people who, like me, want to get ebooks from your pc to your ipod touch or iphone over the usb cable. I copied-pasted this from lexcycle's faq:

Transferring books via the USB cable (for epub or eReader)

1. If your books are in any format but eReader or epub, then convert your books to epub using Stanza Desktop or Calibre.
    2. Download and install the shareware "DiskAid" utility from http://www.digidna.net/diskaid/, which allows you to transfer files over to your iPhone using the USB cable (note: you do not need to install the companion "FileAid" software on your iPhone)
    3. Connect your iPhone to your computer using the USB cable and launch DiskAid
    4. Make sure the drop-down menu in the lower-left corner of the DiskAid window is set to "Media Folder".
    5. Select the "DCIM" folder from the list of folders on the left-hand side of the window.
    6. Click the "Create Folder" button and name the new folder "Stanza".
    7. Select the new "Stanza" folder, and then click the "Copy to Device" button.
    8. Browse your computer for your books and add them to the folder.
    9. The next time you launch Stanza, all the books in that folder will be automatically imported into Stanza's library (and removed from that folder).
    10. Note: any software that can transfer files over to the iPhone can be used for this method of transferring books in bulk. When Stanza launches, any files it finds in the folder named "/var/mobile/Media/DCIM/Stanza" will be imported into Stanza.

It's a bit long the first time, since you have to download stanza desktop and install everything, but once you did it a few times, it's easy as can be!

I hope this post will help a few wi-fi-less people!:D