Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

net

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
i have an 2003 emac with osx and would like to get it back up and running but wirelessly, i have a pc running wirelessly at the moment and want to have the use of both from the same modem but cant use the ethernet cable due to location of telephone socket can i get a wireless adaptor for the emac too

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
The eMac (I think all of them) has a slot for an airport card. It's located behind a protective piece of plastic behind the optical drive door, just above the drive itself.

It wasn't a very common option, to my knowledge, so I'll assume you don't already have one.

The good news is, all you need to do is get your hands on an airport card and stick it in, and you've got B wireless (slow, but if it's just for internet use it's fine). The bad news is those cards are VERY in demand and no longer manufactured, so they tend to sell for a premium. If you're lucky you should be able to get one for about $50.

Alternately, you could use either a "bridge" or a router running in bridge mode (essentially a reverse wireless hub--has an antenna and one or more Ethernet ports, but the signal goes from the wireless connection to the wired instead of the other way around). These might actually end up costing more than an Airport card, depending on the brand and model.

There are USB dongles as well, but I don't know how confident I'd be in those working on a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.