getting email updates soon as RSS / macrumours.com updates with new news?!?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by musio, May 27, 2009.

1. musio macrumors 68020

musio

Hi,

i posted another thread in the iphone forum but guessed the site section is more appropriate.

I basically want to ask the RSS experts if there is a way to get an email soon as there is an update on macrumours.com? I'd like it mailed to my iphone/mobile me account as i'm not always by a computer so i can read the latest rumour.

I checked out google reader but it doesn't look like there is a way to get email updates automatically....come on, we'd all like this!...it's why us macrumours folk are here! ;)

Am i right in saying if i subscribe to the MacRumors.com News Discussion - would this is the only way to get around this problem?

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

how about twitter? macrumors posts story links to twitter.

RSS is a fetch technology, email is a push technology (from the authors point of view), I'm sure you could set some automator thing up to read rss through mail, and then email when a new item comes in, if you leave your mac on and connected all the time.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I believe that would do it for you. Although you might get an e-mail every time somebody posts to that forum. Which would be scary.

4. musio thread starter macrumors 68020

musio

Wow, two Demi-God replies! :) So, this is were the titans hang out..

God yetanotherdave - thanks, twitter is a good idea!

God SilentPanda - thanks for the backup. Although, i fear you are right in that i'll get an email for every post :( I checked the vbulletin website and i think the mods can enable a 'mail for every new thread' feature...

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Being a demi-god has nothing to do with our message... it just means we had $25 at some point... not that we know what we're talking about. :D

6. musio thread starter macrumors 68020

musio

i tried to avoid it like microsoft but i signed up to a twitter account thinking it would email the news of macrumours but it doesn't seem to do it :(

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you don't want to use a newsreader to watch an RSS feed, I suggest looking for an RSS-to-email service. A number of RSS-to-email services have come and gone over the years, so I don't know which particular one to recommend, but I know they are out there.

8. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I remember raising this point a few years ago, and the suggestion from Arn and co was some sort of similar less-than-satisfactory workaround. (Which was fine at the time as Arn ran the site on a volunteer basis in his spare time.)

With the growth in MR, and the taking on of paid staff, perhaps now is the time to start looking at enabling email notifications of new page-one stories.

It does seem odd that I can get email notification of whenever someone replies to any one of my subscribed threads (of which I have over 1000 now, generating about 10 emails a day), but I cannot get email notification of a new front page story, which after all is the prime reason for the exisitence of this site.

Suggestion for a quick and dirty fix:

1. Create a stickied thread in Forums>News Discussions, titled something like 'New MR Updates'
    2. Only editors are allowed to post in this thread.
    3. Each time a new update is posted on the front page, it is added to this thread as a new post.

Anyone who wants an email notification of new front page stories can then subscribe to this thread, and get email notification of any new posts.

How's that?

9. musio thread starter macrumors 68020

musio

god - Doctor Q, thanks, i'll google those terms and sees what i come up with

god RedTomato, hark, another soldier with me! The vbullitin board MR uses CAN be customized from a brief look in the way suggested. The mods can allow users to subscribe to a board when a new THREAD is posted.

Mods, can you enable this!? It would solve all our problems and maybe re-direct some more traffic your merry way! :)

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

The rank of Demi-deity only means that you are a MR subscriber. Anyone can become a deity if they contribute $25 and there's quite a lot of us who do so. There are various secret benefits. :cool:

Mods can't change any of the code or settings. They're volunteers and only moderate posts.

The only people who can change code are Arn, Longofest (maybe), and a couple of others.

11. musio thread starter macrumors 68020

musio

what are the secret benefits? :);)

What's the best way to make contact with Arn & Longofest. Forum or MR contact page?

12. musio thread starter macrumors 68020

musio

Thanks for the post. Unfortunately, it only has daily and weekly notifications.... I want news and i want my horse NOW MUMMY! Sorry, i mean instant notification...there's a bit of stewie in us all... ;)

13. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

No adverts. Access to Deity playground. 3-D presentation of MR processed on Steve Jobs' own personal graphics chip.

And a couple others. Pay me $25 and I'll tell you.

You've already done it. This thread is sufficient.

14. musio thread starter macrumors 68020

musio

hahah! Dam, and there i thought benefits would be a forum moderated by jobs himself! (forum replies from him could include 'go away!' 'the technology of your answer is beyond your imagination!' and ' you can't handle the truth!')

I'm tempted to donate. I've done this over the year on other forums i've been on but i've just splurged on my mac and need to regroup for a while before i can spend anything

I've shot a mail off through the front page so we'll see what happens.

...I just feel like Ponyboy and want to be like you god guys ;)

15. musio thread starter macrumors 68020

musio

16. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Tried out the Forum Subscribe option. Agree with Musio, it isn't what I want. Only comes up daily, and it notifies me of all new threads (good) AND all threads that have had new posts in them (spammy).

Means that even on days with no new news, I get emails with long lists of all threads in the News forum that have had new posts made (i.e. most threads in the last few weeks). Messy.

Will be nice if the MR coders can come up with a clean way of timely email notifications of new news. Google text-only ads in the emails for non-subscribers might be an acceptable idea.

It isn't as simple as enabling email notifications in vBulletins. MR is one of the largest VB sites around, and has a number of custom modifications to the code to enable scaling, smooth working, and other mysterious benefits. Any changes have to be approached with caution. Or so I hear.

17. musio thread starter macrumors 68020

musio