Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Well, sadly I was unable to get anything else today since I had to go. Monday, however, I'll grab the 7300. I think I'll just grab everything one at a time, but I'm thinking of not grabbing the CRTs since I can't ship them, and when I lose the computers, they are useless.

The 7300 is a neat little computer-it's the same generation as the 8600 and 9600, all of which were the immediate precursors to the G3 line. The 604e was no slouch for its day.

I just picked up a 7350 WGS(work group server) yesterday, which is a 7300 designed and optimized to act as a server. They have the same "outrigger" type case as the G3 desktop. They require no tools to open-provided that they haven't been screwed with too badly. When you take the cover off(push the buttons at the front corners under the "ledge") the top just pulls forward a little bit up and out. They have a plastic cover over the PCI card cage that snaps up and out of the way(be careful!). The PSU and most of the drives(optical, zip, and HDD in the case of my 7350) are mounted on a hinged tray-unsnap the two plastic "locks" on the left side of the tray(again, be careful-I've broken these off) and the entire top tray hinges off to the right. This gives you complete, unfettered access to the logic board. There is a fold-out foot at the edge of the top trap to keep it from going too far over. There is also a black plastic "strut" that will engage when you try to lower the top tray-it's disengaged by lifting up, and be sure you do so or it will break when you attempt to lower the top tray back in place(don't ask me how I know).

Last edited:

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Getting even more FREE stuff! XD

The 7300 is a neat little computer-it's the same generation as the 8600 and 9600, all of which were the immediate precursors to the G3 line. The 604e was no slouch for its day.

I just picked up a 7350 WGS(work group server) yesterday, which is a 7300 designed and optimized to act as a server. They have the same "outrigger" type case as the G3 desktop. They require no tools to open-provided that they haven't been screwed with too badly. When you take the cover off(push the buttons at the front corners under the "ledge") the top just pulls forward a little bit up and out. They have a plastic cover over the PCI card cage that snaps up and out of the way(be careful!). The PSU and most of the drives(optical, zip, and HDD in the case of my 7350) are mounted on a hinged tray-unsnap the two plastic "locks" on the left side of the tray(again, be careful-I've broken these off) and the entire top tray hinges off to the right. This gives you complete, unfettered access to the logic board. There is a fold-out foot at the edge of the top trap to keep it from going too far over. There is also a black plastic "strut" that will engage when you try to lower the top tray-it's disengaged by lifting up, and be sure you do so or it will break when you attempt to lower the top tray back in place(don't ask me how I know).

Thanks for this guide! I will keep this in mind when I'm working on it. On a side note, he gave me a spare board, with what I'm guessing is the board to the 8500 since the two look the same.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It's been a long time, with out you my friend... Hello once again to everyone. I'm finally blowing off the dust on this thread to say that I got the 7300 and a tiny little monitor which I'm thinking is a Multiscan 14... So here is a picture in its temporary home atop my dresser: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430772449.839844.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430772479.336369.jpg . The computer is running 9.1 with a Sonnet G3 upgrade and a Baracuda 4GB HDD. I've had it running for a little while and the monitor now seems to be flickering and popping with the screen popping out and shrinking back in every few minutes or so. Anyone know why it may be doing that? Well, that just about does it for this update. Later this week I'll be grabbing the remaining eMac and monitor and then finally I'll have everything.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Nice grab, and still a relatively capable computer!(as such things go).

Unfortunately, your monitor sounds to me like the flyback may be on the way out. I've had pretty bad luck with older CRTs in general.

It's worth spending a few bucks on Ebay for a Rage 128 or Radeon 7000 so that you get a VGA port and can connect a flat panel(plus the video performance under OS 9 is many times better than with the on-board video). This will cost you less than maxing the VRAM, but will give you even more VRAM and better performance.

One last thing-with the G3 upgrade(and ideally at least a Radeon 7000), you can use Xpostfacto to install up to 10.4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.