Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
Hello,

Would like to pursue this a bit more, please.
Have an iMac from I think 2021. Running Ventura.

Regarding that small audio jack on the left hand edge at the bottom of the iMac:
I presume that this is an audio output, for the typical pair of headphones.

I've read in various places that it is possible to re-configure this Port to an audio (Mic, etc.) INPUT Port
from the System Settings/Sound.

Can find no option to allow to do this.
Is there ?

How would I take the audio from a radio Speaker Output jack in the rear, and get it into the iMac?
Is there a way ?

Or, Do I need one of those Behringer units with, I presume, has a built in A/D and a USB output ?

Thanks,
Bob

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You can change parts of your audio configuration by using the Audio MIDI setup app, which is in your Applications/Utilities folder. But iMacs have not had line-level audio inputs available for more than 10 years. The 2011 models were the last with combo input/output ports, I think.
You mentioned the Behringer brand. Good choice for what you need (connecting external audio through a USB audio interface.) That's what you need, and Behringer is one choice for that.
And, when you have a device that provides actual inputs for audio, you will then see those input ports in the Audio MIDI setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.