Getting external monitor for Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Melan, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Melan macrumors regular

Bonjour!

I am looking to buy a monitor to go with my 13" Macbook so I don't have to squint so much. My budget is about £150 (roughly $240), but there is a possibility I could go higher if there's something hugely better for not much more. Right now I'm almost decided on the Dell S2209W (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&sku=320-7438&redirect=1 US or http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&cs=ukdhs1&sku=189447 UK)

Does anyone know of any reason why this would be a bad choice for the Macbook or just as a monitor? I don't mind going smaller that much, is there some 18" monitor that has more features at the sacrifice of size? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

EDIT: Also, since the macbook has only 2 USB ports and this monitor has none, I'd end up having to get a USB hub. Anyone know if those are annoying to use?

2. whitebook macrumors regular

That Dell monitor is a good choice, nice size, good quality screen and well priced. As for your USB hub, it depends on how many you want, you can get a small 4 port one that doesnt need a power source for little money which work pretty much flawlessly as do the 7 port powered ones. Can just be a bit annoying having to use another power source just to run a USB hub.

3. Melan thread starter macrumors regular

4. jgbhardy macrumors 6502

jgbhardy

The BenQ has a higher dynamic contrast ratio and higher sync rates, this could be minimal. Both the same resolution, but the Samsung will be more DPI then the BenQ for being smaller with that same resolution. There probably isn't that much noticeable difference in them. The joy's of online shopping and not being able to compare products visually before you buy.:rolleyes:
    Small world though I just the other day ordered a 22" with 1680x1050(didn't have quite enough to go full HD) from Dabs.com, so far I'm very much enjoying the larger screen compared to the old 13" screen.