Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I'm aware that the OP is considering Samsung, I also offered my own stance with the transition to Android. But your comment about the transparency with the throttling Has Apple has zero relevance to Android itself. Again, not every thread has to have the battery throttling interjected when it's completely irrelevant to the thread topic itself.

Zero relevance to you perhaps. For myself and many others the amount you can trust a smartphone manufacturer plays a big role in if you will purchase a particular device or not.

I personally have been an Apple fan for a long time, going from the 3Gs -> 4s -> 5s -> 6s (along with MBA, ATV, and Apple Watch)... but I must say that I agree with the OP in that I am being tempted by Samsung. Not only because of their great hardware but also the fact that I trust them more than Apple right now which is a big deal for me.

There's many advantages of the galaxy phones over the iPhone, and vice versa:
  • Bigger screen
  • Android customization
  • Samsung Pay > Apple Pay
  • Lower Price
  • Samsung Theme Store
  • SD card slot
  • Multi-window
  • Samsung Dex (if you like that sort of thing?)
  • Etc etc etc...
... but for me the lack of artificial software throttling on an android device is a big draw knowing that an S9 (or OP with a Note 8) won't have to worry about their device getting artificially degraded by Apple over time. Sorry though if this post doesn't fit what you want to hear.
Isn't that part of discussion? Is if I don't agree with something, that I can share my own opinion on something that I disagree with you on that has no relevance to the nature of your previous post that I quoted you on? No need to be Dismissive otherwise telling me to "I didn't ask you." That's not conducive behavior to discussion.

I'm not being dismissive, you and I will post whatever we post. It's just an observation that if you think a certain post doesn't have relevance, maybe just ignore it and don't respond? ;)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Zero relevance to you perhaps. For myself and many others the amount you can trust a smartphone manufacturer plays a big role in if you will purchase a particular device

I will just post this response and won't the derail the thread any further, but you're severely conflating.

I understand the whole 'trust' related issue with any smart phone manufacturer, but my point is and has been, (which I think you keep deflecting away from inadvertently), is that it doesn't require a non-related Post to interject in the thread about the throttling issue because you're bitter against Apple (Which is your prerogative), when in reality, it has zero relevance to the actual point behind why somebody would switch to android, more specifically, to the Note 8 because they don't like the iPhone X for reasons as the OP stated as such.

For example: You even asserted about how Samsung addressed the Note 7 battery fiasco and how they handledthat accordingly compared to Apple, which doesn't have any relation with OP's Post, thread topic or any other related posts, but it's just a way for you to creatively Jab at Apple.

As I mentioned prior, there are multiple threads dedicated solely to expressing your dismay with Apple and the throttling. I think you're conflating two different things for the sake of binding two topics that are unrelated.

I'm not being dismissive

This post in itself listed below is being dismissive. No one on an opinion related discussion website, "needs" to personally ask for input on anything. Anyone and all are free to offer their opinion or reply to your post as they feel fit.

I personally don't need your input and didn't ask for your response

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I will just post this response and won't the derail the thread any further...

Says he doesn't want to derail the thread any further... then proceeds to derail thread further :rolleyes:
I understand the whole 'trust' related issue with any smart phone manufacturer...

Glad we feel the same way :)
For example: You even asserted about how Samsung addressed the Note 7 battery fiasco and how they handledthat accordingly compared to Apple...

Exactly, trust is a big deal when it comes to the phone I pick. If I was the OP and was getting tired of the iPhone X and thinking of getting a different phone the way Samsung handled the Note 7 situation would definitely give me confidence in my decision to go with the Note 8.
Anyone and all are free to offer their opinion or reply to your post as they feel fit.

Yep, in the same way that I am free to offer my opinion as well ;)

See how easy it is to pick out slivers of a quote to try and make cheap points like you did to my post at #25 above? :D

Reactions: Breezygirl

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I love my X as well. I have an SE as a backup and each time I power it up, I’m so used to swiping up that Touch ID seems foreign to me. Now if I used my SE regularly, I would adapt after a couple days.

But yeah, I love my X. I have no plans to get rid of it anytime soon.

Calebt59

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2013
I'm not a fan of the X either, that's why I went with the 8 plus. Next year it looks like our only choice will be an X type iPhone if we want the most current hardware from Apple.
Never liked Samsung phones so I'll be looking at the Google pixel 3 next year as a second device.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I love my X and don’t miss the home button one bit.
[doublepost=1515969253][/doublepost]
Says he doesn't want to derail the thread any further... then proceeds to derail thread further :rolleyes:

Glad we feel the same way :)

Exactly, trust is a big deal when it comes to the phone I pick. If I was the OP and was getting tired of the iPhone X and thinking of getting a different phone the way Samsung handled the Note 7 situation would definitely give me confidence in my decision to go with the Note 8.

Yep, in the same way that I am free to offer my opinion as well ;)

See how easy it is to pick out slivers of a quote to try and make cheap points like you did to my post at #25 above? :D
Samsung didn’t handle the battery issue well at all. First they down played it, then only when there phone was banned from flights did they take action. Their first fix was to limit the amount of charge the battery could take. Then they tried new”updated” units. Then finally they recalled them. By the way, people were only offered a discount on a new Samsung phone, no free replacement phone. Many pissed off people on YouTube and on forums about the way it was handled.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Tempted to get the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 just for a change. Anyone else feel the same?

Yes, please do. Either you will love the Note 8, or you don’t so you will appreciate the iPhone more.

Win-win situation the way I see it.

ray737

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
I am still loving my iPhone X. Glad I kept it and sold my 7 Plus. Of course I will be buying the X Plus when it comes out

Reactions: Jetcat3

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I liked all the gestures and features of my X while I had it. I just felt the 8 Plus would be a better value for me and I do prefer the LCD display at the present time, over the two OLED X displays I tried.

But now that I’m back on a home button and Touch ID, I do believe I prefer them. I especially prefer Touch ID. I find it a bit more convenient and of course it’s more refined than first generation Face ID at this point.

The X was pretty impressive for a first generation product, though. I hope someday they can bring the price down a bit. If $1300 is the new normal for the flagship... :confused: Oh well it is what it is, it will be what it has to be. I’ll figure out my options when I need to.

Those of you who don’t mind the price, enjoy! That X has a helluva nice video camera capability in crappy light from what I remember of my time with it. I think between Apple’s expansion of its product line and Android phones getting better and more competitive we will have something for just about everyone.

Black Tiger

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
The iPhone X is pretty amazing. When I pick up a plus-size model or another of the older designs, it just feels like so much wasted space. iPhone X is really “just screen”. As far as Android goes, I have never been able to get over how cheap it looks, for a lack of a better word. I look at it and it just feels unrefined. And the phones themselves...ugh. Pure utilitarian with no attempt to be refined or elegant. To be fair, I feel the same about the 6-8 iPhones (with the one exception of the space black 7, which is stunning), but the X returns to the refinement of earlier iPhones.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I personally dislike the Note series since I have zero use for the S-Pen, but I have to admit that Samsung seems much more transparent and consumer friendly than Apple lately. Even though they had a setback with the Note 7 battery fiasco, the way they handled it (being upfront and completely owning their mistake) was miles better than Apples shady behavior recently.

The upcoming Galaxy S9 also seems fantastic. The S8 was already a great phone and the S9 will be even better. The fingerprint sensor will now be in the right spot, it'll have stereo speakers, a bigger battery, faster 845 processor, better camera, etc. Samsung Pay is also much MUCH better than Apple Pay since it works nearly everywhere with both NFC and MST capabilities. Oh and best of all... no throttling virus like iPhones have :p

I'm gonna stick with my 6s for awhile though since it still works good for the moment. I'm a minimalist at heart and really dislike being wasteful / buying unnecessary things if I already have a working solution. I'll probably just replace the battery on my 6s by the end of 2018 for $29 (before Apple increases the price back up to $79). Hoping that the new battery will then keep it going strong for a few more years until Apple starts to artificially degrade its performance, and once they do I'll simply switch to a new platform.
Really? No thermal throttling?

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Anyone getting fed up with the iPhone X?

I’m an avid Apple user but several months on from the iPhone X’s release I’m getting tired of constantly swiping up. I actually miss the home button and find the Face ID quite annoying. Also the downgrade from the iPhone 8 Plus’ bigger screen is a pain.

Tempted to get the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 just for a change. Anyone else feel the same?

Doesn’t Galaxy also have the same gesture to bring up the soft buttons from the bottom? For example, to go home, you swipe from the bottom and press home, which is an extra step.

I know it’s a matter of taste, but how can someone get tired from swiping? It’s much easier to me then pressing the button. In fact, I keep swiping up on older phones.

But at the end of the day, if you dislike the X, you dislike it. Go and try the Galaxy S8 or Note 8 in a store and see if you like them. I think no one can tell you if you’ll prefer them to the iPhone, it’s a matter of personal preference. They are certainly good phones. And if you dislike the X and Face ID, I’d say your time in Apple world is coming to an end.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I’m an avid Apple user but several months on from the iPhone X’s release I’m getting tired of constantly swiping up. I actually miss the home button and find the Face ID quite annoying. Also the downgrade from the iPhone 8 Plus’ bigger screen is a pain.

I think the X is a complicated piece of hardware to talk about. I had one for five weeks so I have a very clear understanding of what I didn't like. The problem is that there were things I really did like and things I really grew to dislike. I've posted elsewhere my reasons for returning, and also the things I liked or even loved about the X.

I'd say that I think the hardware is really 'there,' it's a brilliant product introduction, not a beta at all.

OTOH, I think some of the UI/UX aspects are not brilliant and, sort of as you say, they basically wore me out. I would never, ever go back to Android, but I had kept my 7 so after a brief fling with an 8, I'm back with my 7 and will wait to see what the XI looks like. I think Apple will get 'there,' they just haven't (for me) yet.

Reactions: hawkeye372

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
(being upfront and completely owning their mistake) was miles better than Apples shady behavior recently.

Don’t want to get into the iPhone battery thing here too, but Samsung was anything but being upfront and owning their mistake. They were downright rotten about it: first they claimed there is no problem with the Note 7 batteries until they had to admit that “a small number were faulty” (not mentioning exploding batteries once), then they claimed you could replace these for new ones that were supposedly fixed, but were not - which they knew were still faulty. Finally, after pressure from regulators, they had to recall the phones, still not admitting they are a fire hazard (they basically said they are sorry how their product did not meet the “high expectations they set”, without admitting they actually endangered people). They knew from day one what was happening, but chose to pretend nothing is wrong even though it endangered people’s safety. Compared to them, Apple is a bastion of integrity.

How quickly people forget.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Zero relevance to you perhaps. For myself and many others the amount you can trust a smartphone manufacturer plays a big role in if you will purchase a particular device or not.

I personally have been an Apple fan for a long time, going from the 3Gs -> 4s -> 5s -> 6s (along with MBA, ATV, and Apple Watch)... but I must say that I agree with the OP in that I am being tempted by Samsung. Not only because of their great hardware but also the fact that I trust them more than Apple right now which is a big deal for me.

There's many advantages of the galaxy phones over the iPhone, and vice versa:
  • Bigger screen
  • Android customization
  • Samsung Pay > Apple Pay
  • Lower Price
  • Samsung Theme Store
  • SD card slot
  • Multi-window
  • Samsung Dex (if you like that sort of thing?)
  • Etc etc etc...
... but for me the lack of artificial software throttling on an android device is a big draw knowing that an S9 (or OP with a Note 8) won't have to worry about their device getting artificially degraded by Apple over time. Sorry though if this post doesn't fit what you want to hear.

I'm not being dismissive, you and I will post whatever we post. It's just an observation that if you think a certain post doesn't have relevance, maybe just ignore it and don't respond? ;)

Glory. Hal9000, have you used Android for any period of time? If you have, that's great. If you haven't, then let me tell you how badly and repeatedly I got burned in The Land of Android. By hardware manufacturers. By Google. By the carrier. In my view and in my experience, betting on Apple - which is NOT perfect - is so much better. YMMV.

Reactions: Pipper99

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
I just went from the IPhone X, had it since launch to the Note 8. The IPhone X is a great phone don't get me wrong. If I only used IPhones it would be my only choice. But knowing what else is out there gives me the freedom to leave without panicking. Number one reason was the screen size.

If you look at some of my post Around when the IPhone launched you will see that I vehemently defended the X against most haters on here. I felt they didn't even give the phone a real chance. I still stand by my original post in saying the notch didn't bother me and I loved having a phone I could fit comfortably in the palm of my hand. But here's the thing, I got tired of having to constantly pinch to zoom to read text. Also I missed the screen size of a Note series phone which I had in the past. Now that I'm back to the Note, I can say it feels massive and yeah it can be a pain to hold some times but I enjoy the tablet like screen. Even the 8 Plus can't really compare to a Note because you have all the weight of a Note phone but a screen only slightly bigger than the X which is why I didnt go for it in it's third iteration. But let me say this, the IPhone X speakers are a beast and the Note 8s feel kind of flat, I'm acts kind of suprised with that one.

I also switched because I prefer Samsung Pay because you can use it anywhere that has a magnetic swipe terminal, and this phone sinks easily with my 4k Samsung Tv.

But I'll probably be back for the IPhone X plus.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
FaceID is nowhere near as flexible as TouchID. I find myself constantly inputting my passcode. They really need to let you input more than one face to get better results (the way they did with fingerprinters).

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
No.
Big fan of the X.

There are tiny little things that aren't a 10 out of 10 but I haven't owned an iPhone that was a 10 out of 10 yet and I've purchased every model new except for the 3Gs.
Face ID does surprise me every once in a while at how quickly it will recognize me or sometimes the distance and angle that it does. I like it.

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
No, I prefer the swipe up gesture to the waste-of-space button by far.

Have you owned an android before? Lol? Good luck!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Doesn’t Galaxy also have the same gesture to bring up the soft buttons from the bottom? For example, to go home, you swipe from the bottom and press home, which is an extra step.

I know it’s a matter of taste, but how can someone get tired from swiping? It’s much easier to me then pressing the button. In fact, I keep swiping up on older phones.

But at the end of the day, if you dislike the X, you dislike it. Go and try the Galaxy S8 or Note 8 in a store and see if you like them. I think no one can tell you if you’ll prefer them to the iPhone, it’s a matter of personal preference. They are certainly good phones. And if you dislike the X and Face ID, I’d say your time in Apple world is coming to an end.
You can set the home button to be permanently displayed on the screen. So there is an option for no swiping up.
[doublepost=1516005742][/doublepost]
No, I prefer the swipe up gesture to the waste-of-space button by far.

Have you owned an android before? Lol? Good luck!
They are quite good these days. I just prefer iOS.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
I'm finding that I'm using my X more than I used my 7+. If I wanted a quick browse I used to pick up my MBP but now I'll tend to reach for my X. Maybe it's because I'm used to the swiping gestures on the MBP. I also find the X to be less "in your face" in use.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA

I would gladly trade the home button on my iPad Pro for FaceID and th X home bar. Using the X just feels more fluid and more convenient to me. Maybe you just like pushing the button because it’s what you are used to. I hope you realize that the Samsung would be even less like what you are used to. Why not just get the 8 Plus?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.