getting files and settings from tiger into leopard

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
i have an external hard drive, and i use Backup for backing up my computer. i'm getting leopard this friday, and i want to do a clean install.

what's the best way to do the clean install and get back all the files, settings, bookmarks, etc.?

bonafide

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2007
bump

Same position here. I use "Backup" as well with an external HD. In the windows world I would manually find/install all of my files back over to the new OS but here in Macland I'm a little confused as to what is what still.

I want to do a full clean and install but what is the best way of achieving that?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You can use Migration Assistant after you do your install to install user accounts and/or system settings like Internet and email.

bonafide

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2007
So do a full system backup using "Backup" and then use Migration assistant afterwards to reload all of my previous settings over?

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
I'm replacing my HD and taking my old HD and putting it in an enclosure. Can I plug it in to my computer and use migration assistance to transfer files/settings using usb 2.0?

JNB

macrumors 604
You can use Migration Assistant after you do your install to install user accounts and/or system settings like Internet and email.
You know, I never considered that! Since SuperDuper makes a bootable volume, I just noticed that I can use MA either as Target Disk or another volume (it's a firewire drive). Cool beans! Maybe a clean install after all, then...

EDIT: But wait - I don't recall (and I don't want to muck about too much right now) if the BC partition will be left untouched or if the clean install will want to wipe the entire drive vs. just the HFS partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.