getting files and settings from tiger into leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gonnabuyamac, Oct 22, 2007.

1. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

i have an external hard drive, and i use Backup for backing up my computer. i'm getting leopard this friday, and i want to do a clean install.

what's the best way to do the clean install and get back all the files, settings, bookmarks, etc.?

2. bonafide macrumors regular

bump

Same position here. I use "Backup" as well with an external HD. In the windows world I would manually find/install all of my files back over to the new OS but here in Macland I'm a little confused as to what is what still.

I want to do a full clean and install but what is the best way of achieving that?

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You can use Migration Assistant after you do your install to install user accounts and/or system settings like Internet and email.

4. bonafide macrumors regular

So do a full system backup using "Backup" and then use Migration assistant afterwards to reload all of my previous settings over?

5. TimJim macrumors 6502a

I'm replacing my HD and taking my old HD and putting it in an enclosure. Can I plug it in to my computer and use migration assistance to transfer files/settings using usb 2.0?

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

You know, I never considered that! Since SuperDuper makes a bootable volume, I just noticed that I can use MA either as Target Disk or another volume (it's a firewire drive). Cool beans! Maybe a clean install after all, then...

EDIT: But wait - I don't recall (and I don't want to muck about too much right now) if the BC partition will be left untouched or if the clean install will want to wipe the entire drive vs. just the HFS partition.