Getting First mac.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lovel, Apr 19, 2009.

1. lovel macrumors newbie

I'm getting my first Mac this week. I was thinking an iMac at first but then moved to get the portable answer. My question is... Should I wait for USB 3.0? Also which Macbook would fit my needs better? Aluminum Unibody 2.0 or a 2008 MBP? I plan to use it for the following tasks;

1. Photoshop/Illustrator (CS4 and CS5 when it's out)
    2. Web Design
    3. Light Gaming (WoW/StarCraft 2/Diablo 3)
    4. Everyday Stuff (Music/Movies/Web/Photos/E-mail)
    5. Video/Sound Editing

I plan to upgrade to Snow Leopard when it's released. I will load it up with 4g of ram. Thanks for the help!

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Don't bother waiting for USB 3.0.

Sounds like you would benefit from MBP, but avoid the ones with the nvidia 8600gt (high failure rate).

3. Aniki macrumors regular

4. lovel thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like I'm going for the Pro. Thanks guys :D

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

A MBP is not necessry.

1. Photoshop/Illustrator (CS4 and CS5 when it's out) My MacBook 2.0 does this fine
    2. Web Design My MacBook 2.0 does this fine
    3. Light Gaming (WoW/StarCraft 2/Diablo 3) Old games, so they should run fine
    4. Everyday Stuff (Music/Movies/Web/Photos/E-mail) Every computer does this
    5. Video/Sound Editing My MacBook 2.0 does this fine (Final Cut)

6. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3 aren't even out yet. Therefore, it would be remiss of you us to say the 9400 will be ok with them when they don't even have suggested system specs yet.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Performance per dollar wise, the MBP is a better buy. Much better graphics card and bigger screen. You might miss out on small candy features likes multi-touch gestures, glass screen, unibody structure, but the MBP is a good choice.

8. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I actually think a macbook would do just fine. I dont know about how those games would run, but i assume they would be fine on decent settings.

9. Aniki macrumors regular

wtf? the new MBP has all of that

10. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The OP is talking about an early 2008 MBP, not the new ones. Again, I advise the OP against an early 08 macbook due to 8600GT hardware failure issues.

11. Aniki macrumors regular

Now what?

12. Aniki macrumors regular

Oh, Even then, the 2008 models are fine. In real life I've yet to see someone with a 8600m GT burning out :rolleyes:

13. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Sure, but why take the chance when the issue is known and you don't have to?

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'd go for the MacBook Pro only because of the bigger and better screen. Sure, you could go and buy an external monitor but times when you're not near one, I think the MacBook Pro's screen would be a better fit. As for games, Starcraft 2 and Diablo III haven't been released yet and we don't know the specs so why not go for the better card in 9600M GT?

15. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Whoops, went through the games quickly. My bad.

I'm still going to argue with you because my MacBook does everything just fine in photoshop and final cut. I understand that the MBP would be way better but it depends on how intense your projects are.

I may have jumped to conclusions too quickly since I don't know what exactly the OP wants to do with the editing.

16. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

You would probably be very happy with either. I think the main factors you should be considering are:
    1. Is the 13" screen too small for you?
    2. Are you sure you'd be happy with a second hand notebook?

17. lovel thread starter macrumors newbie

I feel like the 13" screen might be to small with all the pallets open.

What model of Macbook Pro would you suggest chrmjenkins?

I plan on very light video editing. Mainly Photoshop and Web Design. I might have Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, and Dreamweaver all open at once. If everything works I don't mind a 2nd hand notebook.

18. foothead macrumors regular

I agree. The 13" screen will be too small. I have an iBook G4 12". Whenever I use photoshop, I have to use a second display because mine is far too small.
    with pallets open, I get about 3"x4" on my display. Go with MBP.

19. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

If you haven't already bought it, I would advise waiting a a bit longer. There may be a refresh of the MB line soon... though this is just based on the average time between refreshes. There are almost identical wait times for macbook if you ignore major redesigns. But if you want/need it now, by all means get it now. I'm only speculating.:eek:
    SG :apple:

20. lovel thread starter macrumors newbie

I won't be buying till this upcoming Friday if I do. What kind of refresh do you expect? I can't imagine anything to drastic...

21. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Since you'd be upgrading to 4GB of RAM anyway, I don't think this is a problem. However, it sounds like you need the screen space so go with the MBP. Get a refurb aluminium one.