Getting frustrated with iPhoto/iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by docpjk, Aug 10, 2007.

1. docpjk macrumors newbie

I had virus issues and other common complaints with my old windows xp pc. After buying an iPod and loving it I decided to buy an iMac in March. I bought a 20 inch iMac with 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM and a 500 GB HD. I was pretty excited about all of the great organizational skills iPhot had to offer.

It was with great difficulty that I switched my 18,000 photos and metadata over from Photoshop Elements to iPhoto. But everything seemed great untill my computer started bogging down and eventually 2 months after purchase I had a complete hard drive failure. Apple replaced the hard drive and through Procare put all my photos back but ever since my iPhoto and operating system has become so painfully slow it is untolerable. My computer crashes/freezes 2-3 times a day. I have tried iPhoto Buddy, put all but 4,000 photos on dvd/archived, rebuilt thumbnails - this helps but not enough! I am now thinking that I was better off with Elements and am thinking of switching back. The fact I will have to deal with all off the metadata issues pains me and I am hoping to find a better solution. I also am happy with the easy integration of iPhoto with my ipod and iPhone. I think Elements would be weak in this area but have not researched it.

I really liked having all 18,ooo photos in 1 file - easily accessible and I amalways labelling and organizing. I really only use the program for organizing and labeling my photos - I do know and sightly miss Elements advanced editing and printing options but could forgive iPhoto if it ran properly. I am looking for advice on whether to switch back to Elements - a program I am already familiar with - or if I should try Aperture, Picassa, Phoenix, or anything else you would reccommend. The metadata issues should be considered. is there something i can do with my current setup to improve performance? (like iphoto diet, more Ram, rebuilding again) Any experiences and advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, are you sure the crashes and freezing is the result of iPhoto? How much free space do you have on your hard drive? Have you tried verifying your drive in Disk Utility? What other apps are you running? What other third party hardware do you have installed or connected? I can see how frustrating this is but I think the best first step would be to make sure it is actually iPhoto that is causing you the troubles. Sorry for all the questions, but hopefully they'll give us a better idea of what's happening. :)

3. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

If your iMac is crashing 2-3 times a day in general? or does it only crash when you have iPhoto open?

Do you have all of your data backed up to an external hard drive? If not, that's the first thing I'd do.

Then, try running the "Disk Utility" application to verify/repair permissions on your hard drive.

If you have everything backed up, you could also try to format your iMac hard drive and reinstall everything - to see if the problem is software related. If you do that, and the computer is still crashing, then you have a hardware problem... possibly bad RAM, or worse. In which case, it's time to send it back to Apple for repair.

Also... you might get more people to read your message if you space it out a bit into paragraphs.