Getting full hard drive capacity after erasing boot camp partition.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by frizzastyle, Aug 15, 2008.

1. frizzastyle macrumors newbie

frizzastyle

hello all,
    i recently removed the boot camp partition from my mac hard drive. however, i still cannot use the space that it once occupied. i have a 250gb iMac hard drive, and the boot camp partition was 35gb. how can i get that 35gb to "merge" with my existing macintosh HD?

2. froggytreafrogg macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

Ok, tell me this. Im just not sure what's going on so just bare with me. Now, when you enter your disk utility, click on 24x.x GB XYZ at the top of the column on the left hand side. (meaning you entire mac hard disk) After selecting your hard disk, at the top, select "partition." In the box (s) below "Volume scheme", is there one or two boxes there?

3. frizzastyle thread starter macrumors newbie

frizzastyle

my volume scheme used to have two very clear boxes, each with a label, but now it looks like this: [​IMG]
    strange, i think?

oh, and i have 37gb actually "available" on my hard drive. the 34.2 mentioned in Disk Utility must be this unused space that i'm not able to use.

4. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

that's how mine looks. blue is used space on the partition, white is unused space on the partition. my 120gb hdd has 112gb usable, so that looks about right with 232gb on a 250gb hard drive (i'm too tired to do the math right now).

5. frizzastyle thread starter macrumors newbie

frizzastyle

hmm, this is strange. i went through all of my folders under the root of my hard drive (applications, system, library, users, etc.), found out how large they were, and added them up. according to my Macintosh HD info, i have 197gb used, but once adding all the files up, i only have 162gb used. there is still 35gb of free space unaccounted for. and that was the size of my bootcamp partition. any ideas?

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

theres invisible folders/files in the root of your hard drive that take up the rest of that space. just look in Disk Utility for your total used space or get info on your hard drive "Fraser's Mac".