Getting Gen1 iPhone Cheap - use for data only?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Ahheck01, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Ahheck01 macrumors 6502

I've got a blackberry curve that I can't wait to sell. My buddy is giving me his iPhone for a great price, but I'd like to use it for ONLY data/internet/apps, not for calls or texts. Is this possible on any network with any service to do this? I don't mind hacking/unlocking/jailbraking, whatever is needed.

What are my options?

Thanks guys! Looking forward to finally joining the ranks.

-Evan

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

i don't think that this can be done without a wireless carrier -- how else could you get on to their network?

3. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I assume so, but is there a way cheaper than a $39.95+$20.00 per month to get data on an iPhone if I'm not going to use voice/text?

Thanks,

-Evan

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

go with a cheaper carrier -- at&t has far from the best rates. tmobile is cheap and the 1st gen iphone can be unlocked very easily and used with them.

5. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

become a wifi hunter like the rest of us :p

6. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, the biggest uses are while driving and while at work, neither of which gives me access to wifi, just the cellular network.

What's the cheapest option for a unlimited-data-only plan for t-mobile that I could attach the iphone to that people have done successfully before?

EDIT: If it's a service that can be used as a tether for my alumacbook, that's a plus plus.

7. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

no you cant do this you just need to choose the lest amount of minutes/texts

8. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

If it can be unlocked to use TMobile service, why can't it use a TMobile data-only plan?

9. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, dream scenario:

Buy a SIM from iWireless (TMobile in Iowa) with the $40/mo unlimited data plan, unlock iphone, use apps and internet on iPhone AND use for tethering with my Macbook.

Someone tell me it can be done.

10. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

i think they require minutes and such but idk

11. Jess.H macrumors member

Jess.H

That was my thought as well. If it were this simple, wouldn't more people be doing it? :)

12. rollingstart Guest

Why would you want a 2G iPhone for data with no wifi? Edge only? Slow as molasses, and don't even bother tethering unless you're used to dial-up speeds.

13. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Here in the UK we can just get a PAYG SIM, not use it for any calls or texts, and pay £10 a month for unlimited data.