getting gmail on mail app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by juicyxoprincess, Nov 30, 2009.

1. juicyxoprincess macrumors newbie

Oct 25, 2009
    When i first set up my gmail account with the standard email that comes on the Mac i didnt have any problems, as of this morning everything was working fine, now i am not receiving any emails. I have to physically go to to get my email. I have tried to take me account offline and then put it online again, i just dont know how to fix it.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: This is the message i just recieved:
    There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “Gmail” or try again.

The server returned the error: The connection to the server “” on port 993 timed out.
  2. raison macrumors member

Nov 13, 2009
    I had some issues with gmail and the mail app. I stopped using mail app altogether and I am using the gmail interface instead. If you think about, why would you want gmail in your machine? It's much easier to control it from a single place.
  3. Salmar macrumors regular

Sep 16, 2007
  4. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

Feb 29, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Gmail and the was not working properly yesterday, and the day before.

I don't really know what happened, it sound like you chose a bad day to setup your account!

I completely erased my gmail account and then real added it a few minutes later.

IMAP is the best method. Login to gmail, go to settings on the top right, click on the tab that saws "forwarding / imap / pop" or something like that, at the bottom it'll say "click here for instructions for how to setup imap" then choose for leopard (even if your on snow leopard)