Getting Gmail via IMAP onto iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ndwgolf, Dec 5, 2007.

1. ndwgolf macrumors regular

Guys,
    Right now I am with AIS here in Thailand with a Blackberry package costing B850 ($25) month with push mail and unlimited GPRS/EDGE. When I get my 1.1.2 iPhone unlocked to use any SIM I plan on dropping the AIS Blackberry package and just using there B200/month 50 hrs GPRS/EDGE package.
    My question is; I have a gmail account and it is set up with IMAP, how does the IMAP work with pushing mail to the iPhone, do you have to connect to either wifi or EDGE to get the email at regular intervals or do you need to have EDGE connected all the time?

2. lovelyooz macrumors newbie

do u like it/

im so annyoing because of SPAM

thousand of SPAM mail send me to my iphone after i changed to IMAP

i cant even delete the SPAM folder

how about u guys does anyone have same problem?

3. ianrandy macrumors newbie

IMAP and push email are different things.

Your iphone will connect to your IMAP server at intervals of 15 minutes (or whatever you choose) and check for new mail. If there is new mail, you will be notified. It will use your edge/gprs connection to poll the mailserver and this will count towards the data you use each month.

4. memesmith macrumors regular

If you want push email you need a yahoo account. I set one up online then used the wizard onthe iPhone to log into it and the emails just come. I use it to forward urgent emails from work and it seems to work just fine