getting good battery life on a lightly used laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim2short, Aug 12, 2007.

1. tim2short macrumors newbie

I just bought the new iMac (love it!!!) but I still have a macbook. obviously, I rarely use the macbook anymore, except for occasional trips out of state, or just to a coffee shop- times where battery life is more important than anything else. (used for internet, e-mail, and microsoft word primarily).

my question- how do I get the best battery life for that macbook? should i leave it plugged it... take the battery out...? or any other suggestions. thanks!!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's not too complicated... run it on wall power whenever you can, except make sure you run it through a full charge cycle on the battery about once every month or so.

When you're using it on battery, you can turn off Bluetooth if you're not using it, for a minor boost, lower the screen brightness, etc.

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I would leave it plugged into the wall. Just try to use your MacBook on battery at lest once a month, until the battery runs out (calibrating it), and this should help extend the longevity of your battery.

4. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

what about take the battery out of the machine and use the wall power only?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, aside from the fact that you'll have a large chunk missing from the bottom of your notebook... it honestly won't do all that much good. The system is designed to not over charge the battery. Also, batteries have a natural life, meaning that if you leave them in the refrigerator for a few years, they'll still lose capacity. I wouldn't obsess that much over the battery.