Getting Handbrake movies onto iPhone

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by semawa24, Jul 31, 2008.

1. semawa24 macrumors newbie

I have converted a movie with Handbrake to mp4. I then dragged it into my itunes library. But I can't get it onto my iphone. It won't let me drop it onto the "device" in itunes and it won't transfer over when syncing. Can anyone walk me through this? This is my first attempt. thanks.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If you sync your phone, do you get a 'This movie cannot be copied to iPhone' message or similar.
    If it's showing up in iTunes, but not syncing it's probably not the right format/resolution.

3. iamvexed macrumors member

Did you make sure to choose the "iPod" format when you converted it?

I made the mistake of converting it normally the first time I tried to put a movie on my iPod Touch.

4. semawa24 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I guess I just converted it normally to an MP4. Didn't realize there were presets. But I changed the size to 480/320.

Then I dragged it into my itunes library. But when I tried to drag it onto my iphone, it wouldn't let me.

There were no error messages at all when I did the sync. It never said anything about the video.

I am converting again right now using the iPhone preset. We'll see. Any way to speed up the process?

Thanks!

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Get a faster computer? :D

6. nanvinnie macrumors regular

handbrake runs pretty slow...takes at least an hour to convert for me. i tried converting once and it wouldn't let me sync to my iphone but for me, it was due to the resolution... there's an iphone/itouch setting that you can select.. and that should work just fine.

7. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Buy a MacPro, max out the memory and get the 8 core processor..

My 2.8ghz Imac will convert a 2 hour movie in about an hour to hour and half..

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Handbrake runs quite well in Windows. Might as well get a cheapo Q6600 tower for $500.

9. rayward macrumors 68000

Just for the record, you can convert a movie for iPhone/iPod use within iTunes. You don't have to re-rip it with Handbrake.

In iTunes, just control-click or right-click on the movie, and select "Convert for iPhone/iPod" (or something like that, I'm going from memory). It takes a little time to convert, but it's a lot quicker than going through Handbrake again.

10. Lullip macrumors newbie

Hello - I had the same problem. I selected the file, went into "get info" and ticked that it was a music video. It went into my music library and uploaded straight onto my iPhone. Now when I want to watch the movie I simple go to iPod->videos and there it is and plays fine.

11. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

I'm pretty sure there's just an "iPhone" preset in handbrake as well. That way it's guaranteed.