Getting high temp in the 90s playing SC2. Please Help!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rsghost, Aug 3, 2010.

1. rsghost macrumors newbie

Hey guys, wondering if you can help with this since I don't see anyone else mentioning temps this high. My specs are below.

I followed the directions in a post here in the forums and his directions did work, and I used the modified latest drivers from laptoptogo (258.96), and I was able to overclock the gpu on the windows side. I'm using Vista 32-bit (I know, but that's the only Windows OS I have). I didn't even OC it much, just 550 on the core and 1200 memory, and all was well. The framerate noticeably improved and I was able to play SC2 on mostly high settings (including shaders) with FPS ~ mid 30s and lowest mid 20s. I was a happy camper until I checked my temp via the Nvidia monitor, and noticed it went up to 92C at one point! At first, I thought this was because I was playing on 1080p on my HDTV, but I played again and it went to 88C on native screen.

A couple notes: I did not modify fan speed (allowing the native algorithm to run).

I have a Core i5 15-inch MBP, 2.4GHz, high-res matte screen, 320 GB HDD, Vista 32-bit under bootcamp. Playing in native res.

How come my temps are running so high? I know YMMV but I haven't even OC'ed it half of what people on this forum are doing successfully with stable temps in the 70s. Also, could it possibly be the fact that I'm using the latest drivers and maybe I need to use the older driver people are mentioning on this site? Is it possible I need to monitor my temps with another program other than the Nvidia one?

Thanks for any help!

2. rsghost thread starter macrumors newbie

GGL, thanks for the reply. I did look at the list you provided and noted that most of the posts are referring to their CPU and not GPU. I would normally just chalk this up to me OC the gpu, but many people on this forum and the web are successfully OC'ing their 330m's at higher clock speeds with no heating issues, so I am concerned why I am not able to do the same at half the clock speeds. I wonder if it's because I am not altering the fan speeds.

Anyone have any ideas?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's the same story with the GPU, which frequently runs hotter than the CPU. Your temps are within normal operating range.

4. Meever macrumors 6502a

If you don't like the extra heat just stop overclocking.

Or raise the rpm for your fans.

5. Yixian macrumors 65816

20-30fps on high seems pretty low for an overclocked 330M GT.. I get 30-40 on my OC'd 9600M GT.