Getting HP ColorLaser Jet 1600 to work

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pup975, Jun 30, 2007.

1. pup975 macrumors member

Does anyone know if the driver for the HP ColorLaser Jet 2600n works for the ColorLaser Jet 1600? They seem like they are basically the same printer minus the network connectivity. I just ordered one and am wondering what's the best way to install a driver (i.e., using the 2600n driver or using the http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/MacOSX/foo2zjs method).

If the 2600n driver doesn't work, has anyone had problems printing color with the foo2zjs method as described in the notes section of http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr..._LaserJet_1600)

2. kolax macrumors G3

OSX is equipped with plenty drivers, so the chances are when you plug the printer in OSX will have the driver.

If not, you might be able to get it off the manufacture website or Apple's.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I found with my new 2600n that I had to download the latest drivers from HP (which I usually do anyway--long standing habit).

The Apple-included drivers aren't up to date for the 2600n, and the HP-supplied drivers & utilities CD is also lacking the latest.

Remember, for the freshest, tastiest drivers, always check the vendor's support site!

4. despeaux macrumors newbie

your answers aren't helping

To the two previous replies: I have the same problem, and it's not as simple as you make it seem. Does anyone have a REAL answer to the problem, instead of just useless blabber?

5. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

It's harder to help when you don't give us all the specifics- Which of the two methods above (from the OP) did you try? If the foo2zjs method, did you install all three downloads? What OS version?

And if the problem you have is just printing color using foo2zjs, I think you'll be waiting a long time before someone can help. I mean, how many Mac users will own a printer that HP doesn't provide OS X drivers for? Sorry...

6. kolax macrumors G3

I was almost about to post some information on printer drivers for Mac's until I noticed the second part of your post.

People post on this forum to help others not because they get paid but because they want to help. You appear to be a right arrogant twit, therefore my willing to help you has gone....try somewhere else or be more polite next time.

7. pup975 thread starter macrumors member

I got it to work. Here's how to do it:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=74542

FYI: There are a bunch of people that use non-Mac supported printers (HP's in particular since they have a very small number of printers that are Mac supported and HP printers are used very much in the business environment) and get around using other drivers to get the printers to work.

8. whiskynwhisky macrumors newbie

here are the drivers

i put them all together with the installation readme for hp color laserjet 1600 and some minolta printers like 1350w

HERE are the drivers

9. Kanani123 macrumors newbie

?? Ghost script is incorrect for my computer?

I know this post is really old, but I just bought a mac and love my HP Color LaserJet 1600, I downloaded the softwares that were suggested, foo2zjs.dmg , footmatic-RIP and espgs-7.07.1.ppc.dmg but when I go to install the footmatic-RIP it says that the proper ghost was not installed so it won't allow me to download it. Can you help me get this printer working or offer any other suggestions... I am such a PC girl trying to make a smooth switch over... Please?

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Apple now owns CUPS. For several versions of MacOS X, CUPS has been installed as an integral part of MacOS X. CUPS includes an appropriate version of GhostScript. If you want to learn more about your specific installation, then you may learn all there is to know by visiting your computer's CUPS web site.

However, your real problem is that you are trying to install the wrong driver. You may find the correct driver here.