Getting iMac with BTO options

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alainc, Jul 18, 2011.

  1. alainc macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2011
    #1
    Been looking for a new computer for the past couple months. been using my C2D MBP for work and it has slowly becoming a relic.
    Im looking at the iMac with i7. As a workstation, it has everything that I am looking for. But then it can't read Bluray and wont work as a second monitor is a bit of a turn down. I have also heard from my friend who works for apple that a new iMac form factor will be introduced soon. Am wondering if this is a good time to get an iMac or should I wait till next update? How much value is there to his statement?
    I'll use my computer mainly for music production purpose, using DAW and rendering samplers etc.
    Im wondering how much difference will the SSD have against the normal HD?
     
  2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

    iStudentUK

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2009
    Location:
    London
    #2
    I seriously doubt your friend at Apple will know much about future iMacs. We haven't heard many rumours about a form factor change and they were only updated in May. The current iMacs are a good buy, I'd have no problem getting one now.

    SSDs are expensive, but do make a noticeable difference, my advice would be to find a shop/friend/co-worker who has an SSD and give it a go and see if you think the extra speed is worth the price .
     
  3. rj86 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    #3
    These models have just come out so it's a good time to buy. BluRay support doesn't seem likely to ever happen so you could be waiting for some time.

    A new form factor seems unlikely 'soon', it will most likely be at least a year or so before we saw anything along those lines.

    Having an SSD is very nice (I have one in mine) but won't have much of an impact on rendering stuff.

    Bottom line: if you need a new machine, you need a new machine. You could do a lot worse than one of the new iMacs.
     
  4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

    KylePowers

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2011
    #4
    For what it's worth, external SSD solutions via Thunderbolt will be a reality soon enough. And if you wait long enough (perhaps within the next year), you could see SSD prices drop to a decent price (assuming current prices are a deterrent). So you could just get a cheaper iMac now, then go external SSD as a bootdrive down the road.

    Also, it is possible to play Blu-rays on a Mac... via external blu-ray drive and some sketchy software that you have to pay for: http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/0...finally-brings-blu-ray-disc-playback-to-os-x/

    All in all, I would buy now if you need it. The next refresh won't come for almost another year, and who knows if there will actually be a change in form factor or not?
     
  5. alainc, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

    alainc thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2011
    #5
    Thank you folks for your advices. Ive ordered an iMac i7 with 1TB hard drive, 2 gb graphics card (although I'm never a pc gamer) and will ramp up to 12 GB ram as when it arrives. I figure that this set up should blow my C2D 2.2 MBP (and C2D mac mini) out of the water, I prolly won't be utilizing the extra speed from the SSD so it just doesn't justify the hefty price tag.

    If the option of installing an SSD at a later date is open, I'd be more than happy to do that as the price comes down. If not, I still got myself a pretty good computer that I can use for the next 3-4 years.

    Now I have a couple questions left to be answered. regarding installing a bootable SSD, does it void the warranty? Also I've heard that the iMac supports up to 32 gb of ram. I wondering if it's true.. It'll be bittersweet since most music production software are ram eaters but it'll be costing me a great fortune upgrading to 32 gb ram I imagine.

    Can't wait for my iMac to arrive. Logic Studio in 64-bit baby!
     
  6. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

    aliensporebomb

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2005
    Location:
    Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
    #6
    Yep.

    You'll dig Logic on the i7. I use the 27" screen plus another 23" and have all my windows right there for my work. It's great.
     
  7. alainc thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2011
    #7
    Changed my mind, ordered the SSD + 1 TB drive

    haha, thought might be cool to update you guys. Upon reading so many positive comments about the SSD drive, I called in this morning (i reside in Asia btw) and ordered an SSD + 1TB hard drive instead. It is 5xx USD more but then it'll be a good investment for the next 3-4 years I guess.

    Im guessing the SSD should have a much lower failure rate than traditional HDD?

    Btw, is there any musicians/ composers/ producers in the forum who has also gotten the newer/ newest iMacs? Would love to know how it holds up in different scenarios.
     
  8. chuxdaddy macrumors member

    chuxdaddy

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2008
    Location:
    las vegas
    #8
    I have a question about your BTO. If your OS is on the ssd, can you install your music programs, like Logic or Pro Tools on the sata drive? I am thinking about ordering an imac with both drives.
     

Share This Page