Getting into freelancing

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by zamudiovsky, Nov 5, 2013.

1. zamudiovsky macrumors regular

I have designed some websites and brand identities during my free time, now I want to start getting into freelancing, I designed my own website with my "portfolio" and wanted to know what you guys think of it before I start "offering" my services hahaha

any suggestions and feedback is welcomed!

http://fanumapp.com

2. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

Few things,

1. Fix up your contact form. Right now anyone can click submit while it's empty and a message will pop "Thank you! Your message has been sent." Adding validation for the fields is great practice. Also, make sure you add some type of verification. This will prevent the bot spammers from hammering on the contact form with ads. I learned that the hard way.
    2. I would rename your skills section to services. Also, clients don't care about the tools used. They just look for what you can offer and job completion. That's just my opinion.
    3. Optimization. Compress those images. Remember, clients may be accessing your site with a mobile device with Edge/3G speeds. An amazing tool that I that I use for this is ImageOptim. When you're done compressing in PhotoShop, just drag or add the images in and let it do its magic.

Analyze your site's performance and see what you can do to improve the speed. Another great tool for this is GTmetrix.

Overall, I like your simple one page design, I'm jealous. I myself have a one page portfolio.

3. 960design macrumors 68020

Very nice. Add some parallax to that and you will have one bad a$$ site.

4. zamudiovsky thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tips! I did everything you said, I fixed the contact form so it requires the fields and I did an anti-spam method too.
    I renamed the skills to services and removed the tools used hahaha.
    I compressed the images and went to gtmetrix.com and fixed most of the things mentioned in there!

Again, thanks for the suggestions!!

I will look into that too! Thanks for the comments ;)

5. davedev100 macrumors newbie

First question is who are you selling too? Are you selling to general business people, pizza shop owner, Coca Cola, etc., wanting you to be the expert and build them a site? Or are you looking to sell to the industry where you are selling to tech savvy people?

General business people are more interested in what why tech savvy are more interested in how.

In general, I'd reorder your categories and even maybe get rid of Process. I don't think Process is worth presenting unless you have a new or novel process.

Probably for both set of customers, I'd lead with portfolio and then Services. Business customers won't read Services, but tech savvy might zoom in on your technologies you are experienced with, PHP/MYSQL doesn't help much with a Java/Oracle site.

Just thoughts...

6. 960design macrumors 68020

Ahhh.. Java/Oracle the good old days. And I mean that specifically for me, not the industry. One of my best gigs was developing social games back in 1999? - 2003. Since then most of the work has switched over to HTML5.